• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

tank bag for K1200RS

bvandussen

Seeking recommendations for tank bag for '99 K1200RS. Have searched the threads and unsure whether recommendations for other models will work with my bike (can you tell I am a newbie?). Thanks

Well, you can count on the notion that the bag from BMW was made for the bike.

Most but possibly not all others are "universal" bags which usually means problems and compromises.

People are different, but I wouldn't consider for a nanosecond anything but the BMW product.

I just traded in my '04 K1200RS and had the BMW tank bag on it the entire time. Only way to go in my opinion. :thumb

I happened to come across an used BMW tank bag for the RS. It is a good product, versatile and well made. With the multiple zip together components you can make it into the bag you need at the moment. The down side is that the rubber padding strips on the bottom break down and come loose and are difficult to re adhere. I have yet to find a long lasting method. The last effort lasted the best and that was using double stick carpet tape.

IMHO it is worth searching out.

I leave the mounting points on the bike all the time. The rear ones do get mashed around some but not a problem in riding. I use the bag about 1-2 /yr only when I am needing more space than I have in the bags and on the rear rack/tail bag.

Still I find when the bag is on on anything other than its lower configuration it is high enough to rest your chest on while riding. That is good and bad depending upon your riding style for where your are.

On the other hand I have a magnetic mini bag for another bike that is big enough for office keys, phone, wallet, check book, ear plugs and a few other small things like that. That bike has no bags or rack so this just works for those daily things. It is far easier to use as far as moving out the way to fill up the tank, remove from the bike etc.

NCS

BV:

Tank bag preferences are very subjective. I have used 4 different brands, and they all have their pros and cons, but BMW bags have the most elegant attachment systems.

I would suggest a BMW bag, with at least one external pocket.

Tank Bag

The BMW tank bag made for the K1200RS is the only way to go in my opinion. It fits the bike perfectly with no scratches. I keep mine on the bike all the time and I am on my 13 season . I have other tank bags on other models in the past but they do not fit as well as the one made for the bike.

I didn't go with the BMW tank bag because it was pricey and I didn't want to adhere velcro strips to the top (front) of the plastic panels. I used a Marsee bag for ten years. It's faded, but still functional. I just retired it and bought a Wolfman small expedition tank bag. Generic fit, but good looking and does not require a raincover.

Thank you. I have opted for an OEM Bag

I appreciate all of the input. I purchased an OEM BMW bag (from this site, btw).

So, my recommendation comes a little late.
I bought my K1600GT used with a small tank bag that is mounted on a ring around the filler cap. Upon research I found out the make is SW Motech, a brand very popular in Europe/Germany and difficult to find here.
The bag was a "day bag" with very little capacity. But the mounting system allows for really large bags with more capacity that I can ever use. I ordered a bag of about 6 gallons on line, which includes the top mounting ring, the one that is attached to the bag.
With the bottom ring on the tank, I can change within 10 seconds from one bag to the other. The contour of the large bag follows the shape of the tank perfectly. Best tank bag system I have seen.

So, my recommendation comes a little late.
I bought my K1600GT used with a small tank bag that is mounted on a ring around the filler cap. Upon research I found out the make is SW Motech, a brand very popular in Europe/Germany and difficult to find here.
The bag was a "day bag" with very little capacity. But the mounting system allows for really large bags with more capacity that I can ever use. I ordered a bag of about 6 gallons on line, which includes the top mounting ring, the one that is attached to the bag.
With the bottom ring on the tank, I can change within 10 seconds from one bag to the other. The contour of the large bag follows the shape of the tank perfectly. Best tank bag system I have seen.

I have the same deal on my K1200GT. So easy to change out between bags and the bag does not beat up the paint because the weight is taken by the tank ring.
Jeff

While I like many of the features of various BMW tank bags- like the waterproof liner- they have some negatives- like the poor quality vinyl windows that brown fog easily in even trivial amounts of UV light. Quite possibly the worst quality vinyl I've ever seen and not at all in keeping with the price point of the item.
The vinyl can be replaced with (stiffer) boat curtain material as I've had to do - $30 at one of the many local shops that do this where I live. (My bikes are garaged when not in use and tank bags used only periodically- yet the stock vinyl windows crap out in two or three season anyway)

Re attaching a tank bag to the the fuel filler- those screws have plenty of strength. Nothing to worry about as long as you don't have a giant bag loaded with gold or lead bars, by which time you will no doubt be worrying more about what you've done to the balance of the bike than whether the tank bag will stay put.

For those who like to electrify tank bags (mine get set up for charging phones and headsets plus a pass through for an electric jacket)- its easy to electrify BMW items without compromising waterproofing using std powerlet stuff. Some of the aftermarket fuel filler ring items can also be purchased with electrification kits- for which it is wise to understand those harnesses contain a hidden solid state relay which will use a small amount of current any time the bag is connected- even with the bike shut off Will add to the bikes parasitic draw. (The purpose of the relay system is actually safety- it disconnects power to the bag connector at the tank ring while fueling thereby eliminating any possibility of a spark at that connector which is right at the tank opening while fueling. A rather smart if somewhat unobvious design feature. If you electrify your own, do remember that anything that could spark around an open tank is a very bad idea and design accordingly (for example, with something that forces a disconnect prior to opening the tank for fueling)

Back