• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Boot Recommendations

PeoriaMac

Having just dumped my GS onto my right foot after losing my footing...I'm looking for some sturdy boots...something with ankle support yet not inflexable. What's worked well for you? Especially if you dropped a bike on your foot! Bikes fine, thank you.

... why did you do that Mac??? You weren't wearing flip-flops.... right?
09.gif

I'm looking for some sturdy boots...something with ankle support yet not inflexable. What's worked well for you?

I got these last season and love 'em. Another Airhead in my club showed up with the same, 2X from him too...
Just as you desire....sturdy with ankle support, but not inflexible. And so far, they seem to be very water
resistant... Not designated as such, but dry feet to date in the pouring rain.

http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-combat-lite-boots-20.html

Aeroststich COMBATS:)

Been wearing the Combats by Aerostitch Rider Wearhouse in Diluth,MN. for years now and they are BOMBPROOF, extreme tough going boots. I ride offroad all the time on GSA1200 and cannot kill these boots:). They are not listed as waterproof but ARE so, as I walk in creeks and all else kind a stuff to hurt these boots and my feet never get wet! They are tough/ heavy leather and give MUCH more protection than most boots, just short of M/X boots. These are my go too touring boots and I could not be happier. NOT a hiking boot, however so carry walking shoes for extended hiking. ALSO, as these come NEW, you'll find them very stiff(heavy leather) and needing a breakin period of a while. Once there, much happiness for a very long time and NOT likely needing another pair of boots for maybe your lifetime:). IF you manage to wear em out, ALL the parts are sold to rebuild these boots, including soles. YOU WILL NOT wear these boots out, imo:). Randy

... why did you do that Mac??? You weren't wearing flip-flops.... right?
09.gif

Flip flops--no. A Pair of Clark desert boots which is what I wear off-bike about 80% of the time. I was going to an event where I'd be doing a lot of walking and as I pulled into the driveway, a LEO informed me I couldn't park there. I stopped, put my right foot out...it slid..and the bike and I did a slow "laugh-in" type tilt over. Foot bruised, Jesse bag has a slight war wound. Big deal! I just considered taking a picture of my blackened toes. Be thanksful I did not!
But seriously folks ...I've been looking at the Aerostitch boots for a long time...and given the reccomendations here, I think I'll go that route. They're expensive but my feet are worth it.

I have the Combat Lights & love them. Took a bit to break in, but now they work great. I ride an RT...

I have 3 pairs of boots that I use with my GSA. Revit Apache for everyday sort of use. Sidi Adventure for longer rides, dirt roads. They are probably my favorite of the three because they are the most comfortable to walk in for any distance. And finally some old Alpinestar Vector offroad boots. They are almost full on motocross boots and I usually save them for the DR650 and pure offroad, but I've used them on the BMW too. They are my max protection boots, but are stiff enough that you don't feel the foot controls as well and you sure don't want to do any walking in them.

I have started wearing a pair of Sidi Crossfire SRS boots more and more. They are not flexible so much in the foot. No worse than the Raichle Montagna mountain boots that we all wore a life time ago. Once you are used to the relatively solid food, the ankle moves wonderful easy in the direction is is supposed to go but is well braced laterally. I have come to really like these boots even as not main stream as other boots. After wearing these and Sidi Vortice, most of my other boots feel very very whimpy.

NCS

Anything by Sidi. I like my GoreTex On-Road boots. They may be called "OnRoad" but they work really well as off-road boots, too. Taller than most street boots with a lugged hiking boot type sole.

pete

Another vote here for Aerostich's "Combat Lite" boots. I'm on my second pair - about 12K miles on the new pair and they still look pretty new. My old pair, with approximately 60K miles under their soles, are still serviceable. I can wear 'em into a courtroom and no one notices I'm wearing m/c boots. They're the most comfortable and well-made footwear I own. They're made for Aerostich by Sidi, so it's not like you're getting a no-name brand - Sidi is one of the best Italian bootmakers ever.

I've been looking at BMW's All Around boots.
I've been wearing them with built up soles for a few years. Very good boot, very comfortable for me and good to walk in normally as well. The only downside is if your ride year around, you're absolutely going to have damn cold feet. They do allow some airflow. Great for hot weather that we normally ride in but not so great when the temps get really low.

My solution is to wear heavy socks and use chemical toe warmers stuck to the top of the socks. It works ok. The real solution in the winter is to have a second pair of boots IMO.

All that said, the BMW All Around is a great waterproof boot that does allow your feet to get some air in the summer - and freeze in the winter...;)

I've been wearing them with built up soles for a few years. Very good boot, very comfortable for me and good to walk in normally as well. The only downside is if your ride year around, you're absolutely going to have damn cold feet. They do allow some airflow. Great for hot weather that we normally ride in but not so great when the temps get really low.

My solution is to wear heavy socks and use chemical toe warmers stuck to the top of the socks. It works ok. The real solution in the winter is to have a second pair of boots IMO.

All that said, the BMW All Around is a great waterproof boot that does allow your feet to get some air in the summer - and freeze in the winter...;)

Agreed... 20k miles ridden in these boots so far and lots of walking. Love 'em. And toe warmer packs late fall through spring is needed (or heated soles/socks) if you are so equipped.

Mac. I have slid down the interstate with my GSA on top of my ankle wearing the BMW Santiago's. Didn't phase my ankle. The boots got a bit of one metal strap ground off. I wear them all the time. They are not for sale but if you would like to see what they look like after such a slide let me know. I'm in Peoria everyday.

I would suggest the MOST IMPORTANT THING with boots is how they fit your feet. Take a couple pair of slightly different thickness m/c socks with you when you go shopping. I wanted reasonable protection, waterproof, and comfort right out of the box for walking as well as riding. I spent a half hour walking around one store in a pair BMW Allrounds and a half hour in a different store with very similar Alpinestars. For ME, the Allrounds were the clear winner. But your feet may well vote differently. That's the reason I'm so leery of mail-order for boots, gloves or helmets. NO review is going to tell you how the gear fits you.

Note: you do not get "comfort right out of the box" with Combat Lites. Even when broken in, they are going to be heavier. If you are younger or a high mileage rider, they may well prove cheaper in the long run after you put up with the break-in period. And I know the satisfaction of owning (and having fixed) high quality leather boots that are decades old! My heavy hiking boots, from the late 60's, are on their third set of soles, have had other repairs, and still see occasional service. When I put them on, they are not only protection (now from a chainsaw;) they are also a time machine back to my serious hiking years.

DO make sure your boots allow for reasonably thick socks with probably a thin under-sock. (I won't go into this topic since I really don't know what I am talking about.) My BMW Allrounds are a size 45. I wear 10.5 size shoes. There is enough room at any time of the year for a fairly thick sock and my toes don't get cold after an hour of riding until the temp is close to freezing. This, of course, is another meaningless fact. Your blood circulation to the toes may be much better (or worse) than mine.

"Live and learn" is still the order of the day. Can only hope the OP takes away some useful ideas.

Back