Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Boot Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by ralwhite View Post
    I've been looking at BMW's All Around boots.
    I've been wearing them with built up soles for a few years. Very good boot, very comfortable for me and good to walk in normally as well. The only downside is if your ride year around, you're absolutely going to have damn cold feet. They do allow some airflow. Great for hot weather that we normally ride in but not so great when the temps get really low.

My solution is to wear heavy socks and use chemical toe warmers stuck to the top of the socks. It works ok. The real solution in the winter is to have a second pair of boots IMO.

All that said, the BMW All Around is a great waterproof boot that does allow your feet to get some air in the summer - and freeze in the winter...
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442

Quote Originally Posted by SteveAikens View Post
    I've been wearing them with built up soles for a few years. Very good boot, very comfortable for me and good to walk in normally as well. The only downside is if your ride year around, you're absolutely going to have damn cold feet. They do allow some airflow. Great for hot weather that we normally ride in but not so great when the temps get really low.

My solution is to wear heavy socks and use chemical toe warmers stuck to the top of the socks. It works ok. The real solution in the winter is to have a second pair of boots IMO.

All that said, the BMW All Around is a great waterproof boot that does allow your feet to get some air in the summer - and freeze in the winter...
    Agreed... 20k miles ridden in these boots so far and lots of walking. Love 'em. And toe warmer packs late fall through spring is needed (or heated soles/socks) if you are so equipped.

I got a private email asking if they were REALLY waterproof in really heavy rains.

Perhaps this can answer the question.

Pacific ocean
    http://www.nmpcs.com/50CC/SDOsa.jpg

Atlantic ocean
    http://www.nmpcs.com/50CC/JAXsa1.jpg

Warm dry socks.....

Ride repot if you're interested:
    http://www.nmpcs.com/50CC/
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442

Mac. I have slid down the interstate with my GSA on top of my ankle wearing the BMW Santiago's. Didn't phase my ankle. The boots got a bit of one metal strap ground off. I wear them all the time. They are not for sale but if you would like to see what they look like after such a slide let me know. I'm in Peoria everyday.
    '09 BMW 1200 GSA, 2013 BMW 700GS, 2000 Goldwing SE, '09' V Star 950, '09 Honda Rebel,
    '77 Honda 750A. Holding at six til I get new garage built - need more room for more bikes!

I would suggest the MOST IMPORTANT THING with boots is how they fit your feet. Take a couple pair of slightly different thickness m/c socks with you when you go shopping. I wanted reasonable protection, waterproof, and comfort right out of the box for walking as well as riding. I spent a half hour walking around one store in a pair BMW Allrounds and a half hour in a different store with very similar Alpinestars. For ME, the Allrounds were the clear winner. But your feet may well vote differently. That's the reason I'm so leery of mail-order for boots, gloves or helmets. NO review is going to tell you how the gear fits you.

Note: you do not get "comfort right out of the box" with Combat Lites. Even when broken in, they are going to be heavier. If you are younger or a high mileage rider, they may well prove cheaper in the long run after you put up with the break-in period. And I know the satisfaction of owning (and having fixed) high quality leather boots that are decades old! My heavy hiking boots, from the late 60's, are on their third set of soles, have had other repairs, and still see occasional service. When I put them on, they are not only protection (now from a chainsaw they are also a time machine back to my serious hiking years.

DO make sure your boots allow for reasonably thick socks with probably a thin under-sock. (I won't go into this topic since I really don't know what I am talking about.) My BMW Allrounds are a size 45. I wear 10.5 size shoes. There is enough room at any time of the year for a fairly thick sock and my toes don't get cold after an hour of riding until the temp is close to freezing. This, of course, is another meaningless fact. Your blood circulation to the toes may be much better (or worse) than mine.

"Live and learn" is still the order of the day. Can only hope the OP takes away some useful ideas.
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

Quote Originally Posted by BCKRider View Post
    I would suggest the MOST IMPORTANT THING with boots is how they fit your feet.

DO make sure your boots allow for reasonably thick socks with probably a thin under-sock. (I won't go into this topic since I really don't know what I am talking about.) My BMW Allrounds are a size 45. I wear 10.5 size shoes. There is enough room at any time of the year for a fairly thick sock and my toes don't get cold after an hour of riding until the temp is close to freezing. This, of course, is another meaningless fact. Your blood circulation to the toes may be much better (or worse) than mine.

"Live and learn" is still the order of the day. Can only hope the OP takes away some useful ideas.
    All this talk about fit, yet no one linked to a boot that comes with REAL sizes. I am an 11 WIDE. I have been told, "they run wide"...BS. I want a boot that is an 11 WIDE, or E.

I can find Chippewa in an 11 WIDE; but would like a waterproof boot in 11 WIDE.

Does anyone have experience with finding a boot that is wide and is waterproof?
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    1996 R1100RT main bike & 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by ralwhite View Post
    I've been looking at BMW's All Around boots. They look very nice and have had good reviews from what I can tell.
    I have had a pair of the all around boots for 3 months - so far they are very good. I tried the SIDI Adventure Rain looking for something very solid but couldn't fit my wide foot into their medium width boot.
    So far they are waterproof, comfortable and supportive in a couple of minor slides off road. R1150GS.

Update

Guys, thanks for the suggestions. I hadn't considered the BMW boots, among others, but will look into them. Not soon however. My doctor confirmed today that X-rays show I have several broken bones in my right foot. Walking on it for a week didn't help. It appears I'm off the bike...and out of the shoe shopping business for about six weeks... Mac
    Mac
    1986 R80RT, 2005 R1200GS
    Livin' Large On The Lake

Sorry to hear of the broken bones Mac. Wish you all the best. Heal soon. You are riding out to the Rally I assume?
    '09 BMW 1200 GSA, 2013 BMW 700GS, 2000 Goldwing SE, '09' V Star 950, '09 Honda Rebel,
    '77 Honda 750A. Holding at six til I get new garage built - need more room for more bikes!

Quote Originally Posted by JDOCKERY132445 View Post
    All this talk about fit, yet no one linked to a boot that comes with REAL sizes. I am an 11 WIDE. I have been told, "they run wide"...BS. I want a boot that is an 11 WIDE, or E.

I can find Chippewa in an 11 WIDE; but would like a waterproof boot in 11 WIDE.

Does anyone have experience with finding a boot that is wide and is waterproof?
    My guess is that "motorcycling" boots sell in small enough quantities that they don't come in different widths for the same length. Could be wrong. Remembered something on this topic from the book "Going the Extra Mile" by Ron Ayres. Quote from page 17:

"One of my favorite boots is the Red Wing Style 1229, which is available in a variety of sizes and widths. At ten inches high, it's tall enough so your pants won't creep over the top of the boot. Constructed of red maple fortitude leather, the Red Wing has 1000 grams of Thinsulate, a built-in Gore-Tex bootie, and a non-slip Vibram sole that gives good traction. The robust insulation not only keeps my feet warm during freezing temperatures, it also protects them from the scorching temperatures I encounter on hot Texas summer days. As an added bonus, the boot is comfortable for walking."

If still made, 11 years after the book was published, this might be your answer. Or maybe they have a "new and improved model" that will keep your feet dry, safe and happy.
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

I gave up finding the EE width I needed in a motorcycle boot and am using my Carolina CA10145 work boots. This particular style is being discontinued, but I'm sure there are work boots with similar features available. Like the Red Wing boot mentioned above, these are GoreTex lined for waterproofing and Vibram soled. When I was still working, I once stood in four inch deep water for over an hour and my feet stayed dry.

Most motorcycle boot reviews have little good to say about walking comfort once you arrive at your destination. A serious backpacker would probably consider work boots to be too heavy, but I wear them comfortably for hikes of 8-10 miles several times a year.

With any lace-up boot, keep the bow in the knot small to prevent snags on footpegs, shifters and brake levers. My extra lace gets wrapped once around the ankle before knotting and is further covered by my pant cuff.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

I purchase a pair of Gaerne, Impulse Street boots a few years ago. Very comfortable walking around all day when needed. Also, they are fairly nice looking for all around use. Totally waterproof and insulated, so cold days, teens and twenties, feet stay warm, yet I have not had a problem with feet getting to hot when riding in the nineties. I wear a 10 EE in a western boot, and my Gaernes are a 10 that I normally (except in hot weather) wear a heavy wool sock, very comfortable.

Lkarl KJ6OCL / 2000, R1200C

Another + for the Combat Lites. Took about a week of wearing to get them broken in, and I did have to adjust the shifter level up a bit on two of the bikes.

My Sidi boots did well for 5 years and about 40,000 miles, but in the end, having a zipper fail when I'm 400 miles from home was annoying. No more zippers for me.
    Too damn many bikes to list

I have not found a pair of riding boots that my wallet and I both like. I just use the combat boots that were issued to me in the service. You can get them in different widths and they are dirt cheap.
    Lynn
    MOA #57883
    Current Ride: 1995 K75 Standard
    Past: 1978 Yamaha XS 750, 1976 BMW R60/6

sheps3
    Sidi Adventure Rain. Very comfortable on day rides or extended days in saddle. Might be a lil costly but cheaper than emergency visit.