• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Synthetic oil for my F800

bphegley

BrucePaul
Anyone using synthetic oil in your twin and if so what weight are you using?
I want to eliminate my oil changes on my big trip of 8K next month.
appreciate any ideas,
thanks, Bruce

What are the high lites of your trip? I still would change oil at every 6,000 miles. Use the same grade and a good quality brand.:thumb

synth is fine. if your trip entails "normal" touring of many non-stop miles for most of the days... 8K is not an unreasonable distance to travel between changes. repetitive stops and starts is the greatest stressor of engine oil. Or, just plan accordingly for making oil changes along the way- that's what everyone of us do on longer tours. i've changed oil behind CycleGear stores (inexpensive source for new oil, they have tools if needed, and they carry K&N oil filters in the correct size), at Harley dealerships and at BMW dealerships, never an issue.
btw- for summer riding, 20W50 is just fine, probably superior thermal protection than 10W40 in high temps.

Thanks for the ideas and help

Temperatures and conditions will vary between high altitude night cools to daytime desert highs. The main reason for wanting to extend the oil changes was to avoid removing the lower engine guard (5 bolts). Best to all of you riding this summer, stay safe. Bruce

Back