• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2001 R1150 GS - Clutch / Transmission Failure at 14,500 miles

1 - running in neutral - everything is normal. Shift with clutch still in - normal. Let clutch out in any gear and out comes a grinding whine. Cannot get back into neutral unless I turn off the engine.
2 - not running, shift into first or second - can push easily, with a gritty scraping sound as the bike moves, engine definitely not turning as I push it. The sound appears to be coming from toward the front of the bike. It would be interesting if we could attach audio files - some of you gurus could probably diagnose the problem just from that!

Replaying a ride last weekend I did have a couple of missed shifts - which I thought were my fault due to new boots but now wonder if this was a first symptom.

I will get a diagnosis today - seems like I should buy beers for those who've contributed. Funny how talking about bikes is interesting. Not as good as riding, but still interesting. I will update later today.

My semi uneducated guess is something more than just a seal / oil - more something that broke loose.

Now that I read this, I suspect the input shaft fwd bearing.

Now that I read this, I suspect the input shaft fwd bearing.

BMW of Grand Rapids just got back to me and they can't get to the bike until Monday. I'm off for the weekend to the upper peninsula of michigan - on a Honda......
I'll share the diagnosis Monday.

Fixed - shredded clutch spline

This is an good thread, and I'm interested in hearing what the OP finds out.

But PAS, I wonder if Paul is lucky or more like the protagonist in "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" who stays in touch with his machines ...

I just heard back from BMW:

Failed Clutch, and somehow the clutch spline was chewed to death. given the speed of the failure it seems like the teeth just shaved off in unison. So instead of being bounced all over it was just sitting there and I was hearing a grinding whine but nothing violent. Slave cylinder didn't look good but didn't seem to have failed. I asked them to closely check alignment. Dealer hadn't seen this type of failure on this model - said he had seen it on some 1100's. Main input shaft was fine (thankfully), other seals are fine, transmission appears to be fine. They replaced the clutch, related seals, and it is apparently running perfectly (I pick it up tomorrow) for about $1,000 (the mechanic has the same exact bike and is pretty fast).

Thanks for all the input - I'm not sure their was a clear winner, but GKMan seemed pretty close - Happy to buy any of you a cool drink if my next ride brings me your direction. If you come near Grand Rapids, MI let me know - always room in the garage, and a rustic cottage on Stony Lake just North of Whitehall that doesn't get enough use.

I'm off this weekend up the west coast of lake michigan - some great stretches of paved and unpaved roads all the way to the Mackinac Bridge. Next weekend off to Farminton, PA. I'd love to make the RA event at the Biltmore in N.C. but can't make it to Portland - just too far and not enough time.

Thanks again,

John

I just heard back from BMW:

Failed Clutch, and somehow the clutch spline was chewed to death. given the speed of the failure it seems like the teeth just shaved off in unison. So instead of being bounced all over it was just sitting there and I was hearing a grinding whine but nothing violent. Slave cylinder didn't look good but didn't seem to have failed. I asked them to closely check alignment. Dealer hadn't seen this type of failure on this model - said he had seen it on some 1100's. Main input shaft was fine (thankfully), other seals are fine, transmission appears to be fine. They replaced the clutch, related seals, and it is apparently running perfectly (I pick it up tomorrow) for about $1,000 (the mechanic has the same exact bike and is pretty fast).

Thanks for all the input - I'm not sure their was a clear winner, but GKMan seemed pretty close - Happy to buy any of you a cool drink if my next ride brings me your direction. If you come near Grand Rapids, MI let me know - always room in the garage, and a rustic cottage on Stony Lake just North of Whitehall that doesn't get enough use.

I'm off this weekend up the west coast of lake michigan - some great stretches of paved and unpaved roads all the way to the Mackinac Bridge. Next weekend off to Farminton, PA. I'd love to make the RA event at the Biltmore in N.C. but can't make it to Portland - just too far and not enough time.

Thanks again,

John

You did well for $1k, it's a big job, I have done a few.

I asked them to closely check alignment. Dealer hadn't seen this type of failure on this model - said he had seen it on some 1100's.
How do they do that? The only way I can think of it is to mount the indicator on the flywheel, rotate the crankshaft, and read the input bearing housing bore thus:IMG_5883-1.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5883-1.jpg
    IMG_5883-1.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 66
That is too bad.

I had two of those failures on one Oil Head over ten years ago, an 1100.

I hope the repair goes well for your bike

Bill Pierce's Pelican Part's response using a shaft extension from the crankshaft (at ~post 31) is better, but having the extended shaft only 1/4 inch dia adds that deflection, which could be substantial, into the run out measurements. That's why I made the indicator fixture as rigid as possible & used three rare earth magnets (salvaged from a disk drive) to magnetically mount it on the flywheel bolts.

I was really wondering if someone had a way to check run out without tearing the transmission apart. Maybe using a precision sleeve over the old spline etc but it would be necessary to remove the old clutch pack, and a bitch to read.

As usual many posts were seizing on the un-engaged spline length, but I don't think that will significantly help a radial misalignment.

I think the reason BMW never recognized this problem publicly is the incredible expense to check and repair wearing splines. I'll bet there has been some sweating over this warranty issue, and the problem is probably due to initial clutch housing clamp deformation in the machining setup.

That is too bad.

I had two of those failures on one Oil Head over ten years ago, an 1100.

It was just the bike's way of telling you to "buy something else, we don't need your kind 'round here."

BTW, I'm working the registration desk at the rally in Salem and will be keeping a close eye out for RS and former S owners. There will be S Conversion Kits available for RS owners. I haven't decided how I will react to to meeting a former S owner. Might be something like :fight but more likely it'll be, "Let's go for a beer. You're buying." :D

It was just the bike's way of telling you to "buy something else, we don't need your kind 'round here."

BTW, I'm working the registration desk at the rally in Salem and will be keeping a close eye out for RS and former S owners. There will be S Conversion Kits available for RS owners. I haven't decided how I will react to to meeting a former S owner. Might be something like :fight but more likely it'll be, "Let's go for a beer. You're buying." :D

Took the bike home today. Shifts are highly more precise. I went through early service records and in the margins someone had written " customer feels shifting is harder than it should be " and later, " shifting from 1st to 2nd sometimes difficult". This was in the first 5,000 miles. I'm thinking it would have failed early but both the first owner and I are pretty gentle on the bike.

Anyway - the bike is very happy now, and the honda is sulking.

Thanks everyone!

Back