• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

RT pumping white smoke on startup

I had about 3 minutes of white smoke once. Never again. Wonder if cat converter turns oil smoke white?

Maybe the random occurrence of having the ring gaps aligned on the bottom will still allow oil past while on the center stand.

I'd ride it, not because I'm lazy, because I think it will cure it.

New Oil = No Smoke

Again, thanks for all the reply's. (Once again I have to say it...the helpfulness and camaraderie of this group is second to none!)

Not sure why, but last night I decided to go ahead and do another oil change. Bike was plenty hot (5 bars), and I just did the oil, no filter. Did a little ride last night, then had it on the center stand all night. This morning... you guessed it... NO SMOKE! :dance

So what does that mean... there were just some bad bavarian gremlins that needed to get flushed out? :german

Bottom line.. I will ride it... in fact, ride the snot out of it! This weekend is Soldiers Grove, and rain, thunder, or smoke, I'll be there.

Thanks again for all of the insight.

One other question while we're here... the bike is a 2000 with 48k... and what point should I expect the failure of the mentioned potential issues? (valve seals, head gasket, etc.)

One other question while we're here... the bike is a 2000 with 48k... and what point should I expect the failure of the mentioned potential issues? (valve seals, head gasket, etc.)[/QUOTE]

Never expect it! Having a expiration date will just cause STRESS!! Stress does not go with motocycles!

One other question while we're here... the bike is a 2000 with 48k... and what point should I expect the failure of the mentioned potential issues? (valve seals, head gasket, etc.)

Never expect it! Having a expiration date will just cause STRESS!! Stress does not go with motocycles!

Ok....How about anticipate? :dunno

Ok....How about anticipate? :dunno

if you keep up on your maintenance, you might consider having to do engine upper end around, oh, maybe 250- 300K. maybe. engine lower end, umm, ya know, I can't recall really hearing about somebody having to go into the lower end of these things, barring an owner doing something dumb.
cam chain rails maybe 150-200K?
seriously, these motors are quite solid.

Paul, Anton- what you got to say on oilhead longevity? (see, I know Paul has seen upwards of 360K on Voni's BigRed, motor untouched)

Like folks have been saying- stop worrying, and just ride the damn thing.

Mine is just a baby, 00 RT with 32k on the clock and I think all the moving parts just got comfortable with each other at around 28k. My point is just after I bought it 5/11 I ran into a guy here in AZ riding a 99 RT, same color with 172k on it, I asked him about the reliability of his. He said he has been all over the country, never had a problem, he does his maintenance at BMW but didn't hold to the factory schedule, changed the oil when he thought about it and used whatever oil was on sale at Wallyworld. He did keep accurate records though, said he's put on 17 sets of tires to date.

I have put 20k on mine since I've owned it, 3k on a round trip to Texas last month, favorite bike to date.

Cheers :clap

Update

So far... still no smoke!
I did the oil change last week as I mentioned, went to the soldiers grove rally where it was always parked on the side stand, and never any smoke. (Had a great weekend with over 700 miles of hard twisties! :thumb)

So I'm still convinced....Bavarian Gremlins! :german

Back