• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Changed tires, now ABS don't work.

wb5plj

2009 G650GS spoke wheels just changed the tires (first time) from tourances to tkc-80 but now ABS don't work. Start the bike and ABS flashes (normal) then roll a bit and it goes out. but keep going and it will come on solid. If in the between time (before it goes solid) you use use the back break you can feel the "thunk thunk thunk" of the ABS immediately and utterly no breaking. Then the ABS switches to solid light and the breaks don't cut out any more. but no abs.

I did pump the breaks after getting the wheels back on. and on the front I took the sensor off of the bracket before taking the wheel off. I didn't do this on the back so I don't know if that is an issue.

has anyone got any ideas if there is anything I can check for a initial diagnosis? the nearest dealer is 3 hours away.

see if you pinched a wire when reassembling. Other thought would be a misplaced spacer that moved the wheel, and the attached ABS ring too far from the sensor.

see if you pinched a wire when reassembling. Other thought would be a misplaced spacer that moved the wheel, and the attached ABS ring too far from the sensor.

yea, I guess that I need to take off the rear wheel again and just get the sensor out again and inspect. still not sure what I am looking for though. I do suspect the rear sensor just because I didn't remove it initially.

yea, I guess that I need to take off the rear wheel again and just get the sensor out again and inspect. still not sure what I am looking for though. I do suspect the rear sensor just because I didn't remove it initially.

In the RT tool kit there is a feeler gauge for the ABS sensor. Don't know if you have one on your bike or not.

If you do, you might check the clearance.

I'm betting on the failure to re-install the thing washer that sets the clearance.

Just a SWAG.:)

Oops

well, I think I found it. here is a video. the machanic said that the pickup rings are more delicate than one might think. also since the abs would reset when restarting the bike that it was likely not the senser it's self. none the less it does seem a bent pickup ring is likely the problem. here is a video.

http://youtu.be/ri5ZpgFwuSE

Back