• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2006 1200 gs towed behind RV

54e30

Anyone have experience with towing a '06 1200 gs behind an RV/MH using a "Black Widow" one wheel down towing system? The front wheel would be lifted in a cage and secured to the RV reese hitch, with the rear wheel on the road. Seems like it might be plausible, but would it ruin the trans? I've already been had by the final drive "non problem", and am shy of ruining a good gearbox. I haven't seen any on the road, I suspect I'm missing the obvious "why not"!

I would pass on the concept for a number of reasons- like backing up. A trailer is a better way to go IMO. OM

At least in Airhead transmissions, the oil didn't circulate if the engine was off (and therefore, the input shaft didn't rotate). I don't know if this is true for Oil/Hex/Cam Head bikes.

My opinion is that the worst way to transport a motorcycle ever. Way to many things can go wrong with that set up especially on a long trip. Also seems like it will put a lot of stress on the frame and steering head that it isn't designed for.

If it's the towing system I think it is [front wheel strapped to hitch carrier, rear wheel on the road] I would think the bike would bounce all over the place. Backing up would not be fun, to short behind hitch. I tow a 500# skiff and a 6000# boat and they'll bounce when hitting a bump or uneven roadway.

I have a "trailer in a bag" that I have towed a GS as well as a LT and my current RT behind the RV. It is great because it comes apart and takes up very little space in a campground. It fits easily in the trunk of a car. just google trailer in a bag.

a good part of the time...

it makes more sense to just rent a U-Haul trailer for $35.00 a day or so.

2006 1200GS towed behind RV

15 years ago I spent $750 on a 5' x 10' tilt flat bed trailer. That's $50/year so far. No strain on the bike.

I'm afraid I have to go along with everyone else. There are all kinds of reasons not to do a one wheel tow. Wear on the m/c drivetrain, wear on the tire, stress on the steering head, front end, etc. You also have the problem of all the road crap thrown up on the bike. Trailer, Toy Hauler, full bumper mount, anything would be better than a one wheel tow. JMHO....Good Luck!

Here is how I do it...

P1000589-L.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I think you're onto something here! Tandem Dolly? Does the dolly have to license tags? Does it have brakes? 54e30

Yes -- it is a Tandem Tow HD XL. It is tagged with a permanent plate in AZ. For platting I can't speak for other states so you may want to check your home state requirements. It has hydraulic surge brakes but they also come with electric. Single bike hitches/lifts are easier but when you want to carry multiple bikes, ATVs, a UTV or golf cart and tow a car this set up can't be beat.

Tandem Tow Dolly

I have a older ST model. It is for a single bike and has a shorter wheelbase and a lower GVW (3500 lbs). I have a RT and dolly a jeep wrangler. It is the perfect solution for our needs. We travel 4/6 months and need a car for the dogs as well as the bike. Best of both worlds. I found mine on Craig's list and paid about a third of the list price.
The folks at Race City are very helpful and have lots of parts on hand.
Google tandem tow dolly.
My state does not require tags because the vehichel( towed ) has one.

You aren't kidding about savings when buying used vs. new. I picked mine up used as well. They are hard to find but I was patient -- almost 6 months of searching kind of patient. I also had to drive 2,500 miles round trip to get it but I'm glad I did.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back