• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

southern half Blue Ridge Parkway lodging recommendations?

damons

Looking for recommendations for places to sleep along the southern half of Blue Ridge Parkway. First night somewhere close to Fancy Gap Virginia (will be starting here after riding over from Indiana).. next night maybe around 1/2 way to Cherokee, NC... last night somewhere around Smokey Mountain National park. Also recommendations for dual sport roads near the southern BRP for a newbie.

Thanks

On our BRP trip we considered Grassy Creek Cabooses in Fancy Gap but didn't find them until after we had booked a non refundable rate at a hotel in Hillsville. We still considered booking a caboose though and just losing the room in Hillsville.

In Little Switzerland we stayed at The Big Lynn Lodge for 2 nights and loved it. It's family owned and your room rate includes breakfast and dinner for two in the restaurant. There's also the Little Switzerland Inn. I've never stayed there but know people who have and they loved that too.

Mt Pisgah Inn on the BRP is a nice lodge. Somewhat pricey, but rustic. You cannot beat the evening entertainment: a parade of skunks begging for snacks at the rear of the lodges. If you plan to camp, the adjacent campground is also great, primitive, cheap, and scenic. When you get to Cherokee, there are hundreds of motels. This is a place to avoid if you are not into white trash entertainment. Fontana Lodge is about an hour away from Cherokee. Somewhat dated, but acceptable.

There are two places in Little Switzerland, the Lodge at Little Switzerland is the best. Good Food, and a great outdoor patio bar with a spectacular view. The second place (forgot the name) is just a bed, not much else to offer.

I am a big fan of the Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground. If your not carrying your camping gear that is not a problem, the cabins are affordable and come with all the linens. Friendly owners, great food and the evening bon fire with cold beverages with fellow riders make for a good time.

We stayed overnight at Skyline Village Inn in Little Switzerland last year. Literally 500 feet south of the BRP on NC Rt 226A.

Skyline Village Inn
12255 NC Hwy 226A
Little Switzerland, NC
www.skylinevillageinn.com
828-765-9394

Ask for Mike Thrift, the owner.

Excellent dinner and breakfast, and what a view!

Attachments

• Skyline View.jpg
    Skyline View.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 132
I am a big fan of the Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground. If your not carrying your camping gear that is not a problem, the cabins are affordable and come with all the linens. Friendly owners, great food and the evening bon fire with cold beverages with fellow riders make for a good time.

+1

food stop

I know you asked for accomodation but let me heartily recommend "The Stoney Knob Cafe' in Weaverville as an excellent spot for a meal. Great food and delightful staff :)
Cheers,
Ian

http://www.chaletinn.com/

We stayed here in Dillsboro a few years ago. If you're not into camping, it's a beautiful secluded inn sitting on the top of a mountain. Lovely people! The downside is that while you will have a great breakfast, you need to pick up dinner or eat out.

I'm planning a similar trip from Indiana on the way to the RA Rally, Damons. My rec's not glamorous, but I plan to stay overnight at the Super-8 in Wytheville, VA. Iv'e stayed there before. It's a decently clean motel for a good price. Just off I-77 and I-81. There's a pretty nice little steakhouse across the parking lot. They have the usual b-fast fare at the Motel in the am with a waffle maker, etc. It's a short 30-some mile hop up to Fancy Gap from the Motel.

If you're coming from the north along I-77 be sure to hop off on S Scenic Highway (VA-42 / US-52) at Bland and enjoy the ride up to Big Walker Lookout!

I'm planning a similar trip from Indiana on the way to the RA Rally, Damons. My rec's not glamorous, but I plan to stay overnight at the Super-8 in Wytheville, VA. !

Just a few miles N on 81 and closer to the BRP is the Fox Mountain Inn Exit 86. Mom and Pop place run by a very nice older couple, rooms are clean, and well kept, and not much traffic noise. It is an older place, but has been updated and kept well.

Rate is about $50 with tax/ night, can't beat that with a stick. There is a restaurant next door, that had new management in April, food was OK, but not great. There is a Subway 1/4 mile away, and a couple of truck stops 1/4 mile away for cold beverages and other supplies.

Back