• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Debating move from c650GT to r1200RT, posted on Scooter page too

ggoldfogel

I would love input from RT riders that switched to scooter, or those who ride both. After a rocky start with "teething" defects, my c650GT scooter is running. My dealer has been very accommodating and I have been thinking about "upgrading" to an RT and putting the scooter in my rear view mirror. For the last 3 years I have been exclusively on maxi scooters, "upgrading" from Bergman 650 to the BMW, and buying a world of trouble during the first 5 months of ownership. I ride every day the weather allows, mostly commuting and day tripping 80-100 miles in my beautiful backyard in the Pacific NW. The RT offers more power and torque at same weight, good weather protection, similar "bells and whistles", integrated cruise control, greater range, proven technology. The scooter is nimble, "shiftless" with cvt that works well, not completely trusted after 2 major electronic failures, saves me $12K to keep and ride. Your thoughts???

The question I would ask myself in a similar position is what is my current ride NOT doing for me?

I upgraded to the RT back in 2005 after 20 years on a Suzuki turbo. My answers we easy, it wasn't great for distance rides, and with my SO get back in to riding since the kids were grown, distance rides was something we were planning on doing.

So, what is your maxi-scooter not doing for you?

Well a RT is a motorcycle, while the C650GT though it's a scooter on steroids, it's still a scooter and nothing will ever change that. Nothing wrong with having a scooter, heck I have Zuma 50 to buzz around on, you should keep the scooter, but definitely get a motorcycle to keep it company. Try something different get a 600cc sport bike to add some adrenalin into your riding, then throw in a Long haul bike like the RT and you will have all the bases covered. :dance:dance:dance

One of my riding buddies has both a Burgman 650 and a R1200RT. About 85-90% of our riding is on crooked mountain roads. He prefers the Burgman 650 and said he would sell his R1200RT if he could find a Maxi-scooter with cruise control and self-cancelling turn signals. With some of the teething problems the BMW scooter has had, it might be fortunate that his short inseam kept him from buying the BMW scooter he wanted.

The question I would ask myself in a similar position is what is my current ride NOT doing

I agree w dowry's question and i moved from Bergman 650 to RT in 08. While The scooter is my preferred ride in town or city, it can't touch the RT on LD touring.

Dale

These are great comments, please keep them coming. I would probably add an r1200RT for long distance and keep the c650GT but for: price (both bikes together cost about 34K), lack of confidence in the new scooter's reliability (mine has been in shop more than my garage), early and possibly inaccurate thought that these bikes have much in common (farings, electronics, ABS, ample storage, BMW quirks, etc.). If I go with RT, the scooter will be traded in at a very fair discount, kudos to my dealer that has endured my trials and tribulations. I am also considering lighter touring bikes... My primary use is commuting and 100 mile and less rides. I have ridden 3000 miles this year already, with no out of area trips yet. As to the comment about height, I am short (5'8" with 30" inseam) and the scooter fits fine. I would buy the low suspension version of the RT. Thanks gang!

Inseam

These are great comments, please keep them coming. I would probably add an r1200RT for long distance and keep the c650GT but for: price (both bikes together cost about 34K), lack of confidence in the new scooter's reliability (mine has been in shop more than my garage), early and possibly inaccurate thought that these bikes have much in common (farings, electronics, ABS, ample storage, BMW quirks, etc.). If I go with RT, the scooter will be traded in at a very fair discount, kudos to my dealer that has endured my trials and tribulations. I am also considering lighter touring bikes... My primary use is commuting and 100 mile and less rides. I have ridden 3000 miles this year already, with no out of area trips yet. As to the comment about height, I am short (5'8" with 30" inseam) and the scooter fits fine. I would buy the low suspension version of the RT. Thanks gang!

I have a 28 inch inseam, and a regular RT with a low seat.

When I bought my 2008 RT, the low suspension version was missing cruise control and a couple of other goodies. I wouldn't give up my cruise control, and even though my 28 inch inseam is challenging from the distance to the ground perspective, with skill, or skill development, you certainly will have no problems riding a regular sized RT.

scooter /RT

I have a yamaha T Max 500 with heated grips and a top box for local riding and commuting. It has front fork suspension, frame mounted engine, chain(enclosed in an oil bath) drive. and 15 inch wheels, so it handles much like a small motorcycle , but has CVT transmission and step-through frame. It is great in the city, easier to handle and less work in traffic due to the low center of gravity, and automatic transmission, yet still is easily fast enough and stable enough for higher speed situations or fun twisty roads. I also have a 2012 RT which is incomparably superior for long distance, more power to pass slower traffic at high speeds and loaded with amenities such as radio, cruise, ABS, traction control, ESA, etc.which spoil me. The two bikes complement for the different uses. I'd recommend having both if you can afford it. The suggestion of the new F800GT also is interesting to consider at a much lower price.

Back