• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Debating move from c650GT to r1200RT

ggoldfogel

I would love input from RT riders that switched to scooter, or those who ride both. After a rocky start with "teething" defects, my scooter is running. My dealer has been very accommodating and I have been thinking about "upgrading" to an RT and putting the scooter in my rear view mirror. For the last 3 years I have been exclusively on maxi scooters, "upgrading" from Bergman 650 to the BMW, and buying a world of trouble during the first 5 months of ownership. I ride every day the weather allows, mostly commuting and day tripping 80-100 miles in my beautiful backyard in the Pacific NW. The RT offers more power and torque at same weight, good weather protection, similar "bells and whistles", integrated cruise control, greater range, proven technology. The scooter is nimble, "shiftless" with cvt that works well, not completely trusted after 2 major electronic failures, saves me $12K to keep and ride. Your thoughts???

'Debating move from c650GT to r1200RT' 100+ daily commutes could justify the switch. My rides are mainly 25 miles along the beach at a respectable bikini viewing speed!

Since you would ultimately take a loss on both bikes (i.e. selling the 650 now, and the RT some time in the future) if possible perhaps buy the RT and keep the 650 for a few months. I have several bike, and the real proof of what you like is the one you get on when you go for a ride. Then, sell the one used the least.

I find that I ride my Burgy the most, but use my Victory on longer trips. Hope to test another 650GT with the lower seat.

Good luck!

Although in other states the bike would have twice qualified, in WA there is a minimum 850cc displacement for lemon law. Scooter is currently running with 1500 miles since major computer replacements. I got an ugly lecture from the supposed head of customer service for BMW motorad in New Jersey, quite the education for me...

We have both a 1600gt and a 650gt, so far no issues with either, ridden a rt nice bike, if it were me I would have a serious talk with my dealer about buying back a problem bike/car etc. the squeaky wheel gets the grease. If you are set on a RT why not wait for the water head model. People who have ridden the new 1200 compare it to a Porsche and a John deer tractor, when next to the older model

Getting old I guess.

I have ridden on and off for a number of years. Some years ago I had a 1500 Wing and finally got nervous riding it--900 lbs was the reason. I took my Wing from Bellingham to S. Dakota in 2000 and it was great. Problem is as I got older I became afraid of the weight.
A year ago I bought a 06 RTP and have spent a little time on it, the "P" bike is just a bit top heavy (2nd battery is carried very high up) and has an assisted (TOUCHY!) brake system--the front brake is "linked" and you can stop on a dime with one finger.

Anyway, I really like to ride but am just not comfortable on the RT, but I love BMWs....sad; maybe the civilian bike is the answer. Nevertheless, I rode an older Honda Silverwing and loved it--simple, comfortable, I felt in control; I ordered a C650GT. I guess my desire is to ride a good quality bike, feel relaxed and in control and I don't need 115HP.

Long story short at 65 I am not as sure as I used to be and I am not planning to give up riding. I really want to be more comfortable-especialy in stop-and-go. I am used to German stuff and know they over engineer what they do, that's what I like about it. I am willing to put up with getting to know the dealer if needed; I am not willing to be uncomfortable or challenged while riding and I am not going to give up riding.

I'm sure this won't help!

Good luck!

Bob

I
I would love input from RT riders that switched to scooter, or those who ride both. After a rocky start with "teething" defects, my scooter is running. My dealer has been very accommodating and I have been thinking about "upgrading" to an RT and putting the scooter in my rear view mirror. For the last 3 years I have been exclusively on maxi scooters, "upgrading" from Bergman 650 to the BMW, and buying a world of trouble during the first 5 months of ownership. I ride every day the weather allows, mostly commuting and day tripping 80-100 miles in my beautiful backyard in the Pacific NW. The RT offers more power and torque at same weight, good weather protection, similar "bells and whistles", integrated cruise control, greater range, proven technology. The scooter is nimble, "shiftless" with cvt that works well, not completely trusted after 2 major electronic failures, saves me $12K to keep and ride. Your thoughts???

Back