• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Devilish stalling problem 2007 F800ST

I will guarantee you that the fuel pump is defective, it will not show a code on the dealers equipment, the only way to test it is for the dealer to watch fuel pressure while bike is running until it starts getting warmed up and pressure will start to drop off. My wife's 2008 F800ST had the same problem, i did all the fixes, trying to avoid buying a new fuel pump ($500) but that's what it took. If I'm wrong, I'll send you a free t-shirt

John

Hello; you can get a brand new "aftermarket" fuel pump on eBay (Intank brand) for $35 + free shipping! Please don't enable BMW Motorrad by paying them $504.35 for an OEM part that should cost less than $100 even by BMW's lofty standards!

I try to support BMW Motorrad, ( I've purchased about 6-10 of their bikes new), but this pricing is disgusting beyond belief! If your local dealer won't install it for you @$100 an hour for labor, take it to a "brand X" shop and let them do it for a lot less...Installing a fuel pump is not rocket science!

Also, if your issue is the fuel pump, you should be able to plug in a GS-911 diagnostic tool, and see that you have had some fault codes recorded? If you don't have a GS-911 either get one or maybe you have a friend that has one. They go for $349 @ the Beemer Shop. Realistically, if you own an "F" model or any new BMW model for that matter it's an indispensable tool to have in your kit.

Good luck, Regards: Chuck

Hello; you can get a brand new "aftermarket" fuel pump on eBay (Intank brand) for $35 + free shipping! Please don't enable BMW Motorrad by paying them $504.35 for an OEM part that should cost less than $100 even by BMW's lofty standards!

I try to support BMW Motorrad, ( I've purchased about 6-10 of their bikes new), but this pricing is disgusting beyond belief! If your local dealer won't install it for you @$100 an hour for labor, take it to a "brand X" shop and let them do it for a lot less...Installing a fuel pump is not rocket science!

Also, if your issue is the fuel pump, you should be able to plug in a GS-911 diagnostic tool, and see that you have had some fault codes recorded? If you don't have a GS-911 either get one or maybe you have a friend that has one. They go for $349 @ the Beemer Shop. Realistically, if you own an "F" model or any new BMW model for that matter it's an indispensable tool to have in your kit.

Good luck, Regards: Chuck

Thanks for your opinions, but it was fixed long time ago. and a gs-911 will not show fuel pump fault codes,,nothing will. And nothing wrong with good deal fixing something cheaply, but you have to MAKE the cheapo aftermarket fuel pumps fit. The factory one slips right in and has a 2 year warranty.

It's done, we're rolling down the road.

Just trying to help someone else, not really looking for advice.

Thanks,

John

Update

I got the bike back from the dealer. The dealer couldn't find anything. The only fault code was dead/unhooked battery. The tech cleared the code and reset the throttle position.... All at no charge. No trouble on the the ride home. Only one stall on today's ride but my son thinks he might have caused it. If the trouble persist I will change the fuel pump. Thank for the lead. With three modern BMWs in the garage I am looking into a GS-911.

Thanks for your opinions, but it was fixed long time ago. and a gs-911 will not show fuel pump fault codes,,nothing will. And nothing wrong with good deal fixing something cheaply, but you have to MAKE the cheapo aftermarket fuel pumps fit. The factory one slips right in and has a 2 year warranty.

Thanks,

Wow, excuse me Mr. Angry Man! Usually on online forums people do tend to "give their opinions and advice"

If you have any mechanical ability, (at all ), and/or your mechanic does, the "cheapo" fuel pump does slip right in! And actually a GS-911 may very well show a fault code related to a faulty fuel pump!

Not sure what GS-911 unit you have actually used or where you've gleaned this info, but the proper operation of the fuel pump (and testing the same) is a standard operation for the GS-911 unit! Of course as with all esoteric electrical issues it may not, and/or may be hard to find, as the fault may be intermitent ... Although the fuel pump may not show a fault when the engine is cold, if you hook the GS-911 when the engine is warm and you have had the issue described, it most certainly will show a record of the event and would normally record a fault also!

Again the "cheapo" fuel pump, (sold by an American company), which I know from personal experience actually performs better than the BMW OEM unit, has a warranty, but even if it didn't, since you can buy about 14 of the "cheapo" fuel pumps for the same price as the $500 BMW one you bought, (plus maybe $200) for the labor you paid, I think my suggestion to try the "aftermarket" $35 fuel pump is still a good idea!

I am a journeyman auto and motorcycle tech; when I was younger (including BMW) and a mechanical engineer nowadays, (since retired), and I would have no problem using the $35 fuel pump in my $13,000.00 BMW F model!

Sounds like you have an extreme case of sour grapes?

Obviously, I am giving my personal opinion here, (as I did earlier in this thread), and "my opinion" was simply given because I was also trying to help someone else!

Sorry you had to pay $500 plus labor to a BMW dealer for the OEM fuel pump, (which by the way, BMW did not even make!), have you never heard of "aftermarket parts"? You might want to research how many "parts" BMW actually makes on your BMW! What does it tell you about BMW's fuel pump when compared to a late model auto, (which most if not all) come with an electronic fuel pump immersed in the fuel tank, typically last about 10-20 years, (or longer) with no problems, and the BMW unit fails so soon?

Again, "your opinion" just sounds like extreme sour grapes!

Anyway, glad to hear you are back on the road, safe travels!

Peace

Regards: Chuck

Thanks,

Wow, excuse me Mr. Angry Man! Usually on online forums people do tend to "give their opinions and advice"

If you have any mechanical ability, (at all ), and/or your mechanic does, the "cheapo" fuel pump does slip right in! And actually a GS-911 may very well show a fault code related to a faulty fuel pump!

Not sure what GS-911 unit you have actually used or where you've gleaned this info, but the proper operation of the fuel pump (and testing the same) is a standard operation for the GS-911 unit! Of course as with all esoteric electrical issues it may not, and/or may be hard to find, as the fault may be intermitent ... Although the fuel pump may not show a fault when the engine is cold, if you hook the GS-911 when the engine is warm and you have had the issue described, it most certainly will show a record of the event and would normally record a fault also!

Again the "cheapo" fuel pump, (sold by an American company), which I know from personal experience actually performs better than the BMW OEM unit, has a warranty, but even if it didn't, since you can buy about 14 of the "cheapo" fuel pumps for the same price as the $500 BMW one you bought, (plus maybe $200) for the labor you paid, I think my suggestion to try the "aftermarket" $35 fuel pump is still a good idea!

I am a journeyman auto and motorcycle tech; when I was younger (including BMW) and a mechanical engineer nowadays, (since retired), and I would have no problem using the $35 fuel pump in my $13,000.00 BMW F model!

Sounds like you have an extreme case of sour grapes?

Obviously, I am giving my personal opinion here, (as I did earlier in this thread), and "my opinion" was simply given because I was also trying to help someone else!

Sorry you had to pay $500 plus labor to a BMW dealer for the OEM fuel pump, (which by the way, BMW did not even make!), have you never heard of "aftermarket parts"? You might want to research how many "parts" BMW actually makes on your BMW! What does it tell you about BMW's fuel pump when compared to a late model auto, (which most if not all) come with an electronic fuel pump immersed in the fuel tank, typically last about 10-20 years, (or longer) with no problems, and the BMW unit fails so soon?

Again, "your opinion" just sounds like extreme sour grapes!

Anyway, glad to hear you are back on the road, safe travels!

Peace

Thanks Chuck, the world is a much better place because of experts like you. I can't believe I've made it 60 years without you.

Thanks,

John

Thanks Chuck, the world is a much better place because of experts like you. I can't believe I've made it 60 years without you.

Thanks,

John

Thanks John; I've made it 62+ years, and I am always thankful to know the world is a better place because of me! I have always hoped for as much and it's great to feel vindicated! But, just in case, I will keep on trying to do more!

Again, sorry they soaked you for the $500 plus labor!

PS: What kind of T-shirt were you offering earlier?

An Aftermarket fuel pump fixed my stalling problem . no stalling problems for about 2 years & about 20,000 miles so far. I used a High Flow brand. I think it was an HFP382 ??? It fit in the bracket with no problem & had the same electrical connections. I remember it didn't come with the preformed hose to the filter. I think the later kits are a HFP382B .I think the later kits have the preformed hose. My GS911 did show Fuel pump fuse fault code.

Bill

Stalling happened for me yesterday and today. Short rides and 3 stalls. All at red lights/stop signs. Was in 1st and when turning up the throttle and releasing the brake, it would stall. twice I had to shut it down to get it to restart. Reading lots of comments in the forums about stallings. software update, fuel pump, rider error, etc... Looking to fix the problem. The bike is a 2011 with only 2200 miles and was maintained by a local dealer before I bought it from a private party.

Any suggestions? Also, is there a charge for a software upgrade? If so, any idea of the cost? Heard a fuel pump installed is ~ 650. Not sure if that is accurate but curious.

thanks

Stalling happened for me yesterday and today. Short rides and 3 stalls. All at red lights/stop signs. Was in 1st and when turning up the throttle and releasing the brake, it would stall. twice I had to shut it down to get it to restart. Reading lots of comments in the forums about stallings. software update, fuel pump, rider error, etc... Looking to fix the problem. The bike is a 2011 with only 2200 miles and was maintained by a local dealer before I bought it from a private party.

Any suggestions? Also, is there a charge for a software upgrade? If so, any idea of the cost? Heard a fuel pump installed is ~ 650. Not sure if that is accurate but curious.

thanks
Welcome to the forum!
It will be good to hear how you make out.
Gary

I got the bike back from the dealer. The dealer couldn't find anything. The only fault code was dead/unhooked battery. The tech cleared the code and reset the throttle position.... All at no charge. No trouble on the the ride home. Only one stall on today's ride but my son thinks he might have caused it. If the trouble persist I will change the fuel pump. Thank for the lead. With three modern BMWs in the garage I am looking into a GS-911.

If you search all of the variety of 800's with stalling issues you will find many, many, many solutions. I bought a nice low mileage ST and the dealer never could fix the problem. And they tried many, many, many things.

Owning that bike cost me a small fortune in happiness and cash when I traded it in on a nice 2008 RT.

Back