• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Shinko tires

I don't trust Shinkos, no particular reason other than they haven't established a good reputation yet. I've had Metzler ME 880s and Michelin PR2 & currently PR3 on the 1150 with 14,000 miles (with DynaBeads), no cupping and lots more life in them. When they finally wear out, it will be another set of PR3s. They stick in the curves whether its hot or cold. Why would anyone go with an unknown like Shinko?

They stick in the curves whether its hot or cold.

That's one thing I liked about the PR/2's and also the Continental Hyper Road Attack 2 - they didn't need a careful scrubbing in and the didn't need any warm-up. They felt the same in all kinds of conditions.

I bought the Shinkos to save money, and that they do very well. I got both tires for less than I would pay for one of the PR2s.

I have roughly 4000 miles on the Podiums now. They are wearing evenly and the dry grip is very good; good enough for my skillset anyway.
I even noticed some backward feathering on the front tread which I associated with (gasp) late braking in the corners.
I ride for fun so my current policy is I just don't ride in the rain. The tread pattern pretty much looks like an afterthought on these.

Frankly the best tire I have ever tried was the Michelin Pilot Road 2, I can recommend it without reservation. I think these were on when I made my no-more-rain resolution which had more to do with being sick and trying to keep up with Buzz doing 80 in the middle of Oklahoma City in a typhoon.
Had no issues with the tires.

The PR3 is supposed to be even better in the rain.

Look, I'm as superstitious as anybody about tires. If I'm going on a multi-thousand miler with a group, with an itenerary, rain or shine, then I want the Michelins on there.

I'm having a lean year and can't afford a long trip anyway, so, well, the Podiums are working for me.

160/60 18 Storm II Ultra still sitting in the shed waiting for a rear tire to wear out when I'm actually near home. :laugh
Never seems to work out that way. Just replaced it's mate on the front and a Michelin PR 2 which was on the rear. They both got to the wear bars during my last ride and the rear was sporting two plugs to boot. Got 6000 miles from the Avon front tire and 9000 miles from the Michelin rear tire. Pretty darn good run IMO.

I'm sticking with the Michelin PR 2 on my RT for the foreseeable future. They work really well in all conditions and seem the have the rubber compounds worked out for long life on the middle of the tire where it counts. With spring sales on $268 for a great pair of slippers is tough to beat.

Shinko Podium set just before vacation ride from Oregon to New Mexico. Got home and the rear tire was toast in just over 3000 miles. PR-3s are cheaper when you figure per mile costs of ownership.

I have used Ravens and Verge, on my 2002 RS. I ride year around, i sometimes corner hard, including occasionally touching a footpeg lightly if I hit a little dip or bump. They have never failed me. The Raven front is somewhat pressure sensitive, too much and it is twitchy, too little and it does not want to turn, will not change lines. The difference from one extreme to the other is only about 8 PSI. In a way it is good, I get early warning of a low front tire. I have ridden in rain, then the cold, in the hot summer, never an issue. I have another set waiting in the garage. If I was riding a long trip, I would start with a fresh set. I like them very much.

I like the Ravens better than the Verge (shorter life), but optimum might be Raven rear and Verge front.

Rod

Last edited:
Shinko, and Firestone

I bought a set of Shinko's for my 1959 R60 to get some modern rubber on an old bike. Yet to try them as it needs "some assembly". BTW I had the Explorer rollover set of Firestones on my 1994 and at 60K miles Firestone recalled them, I let them put on a second set of Firestone tires made at a different plant. No problem. At 110K Ford recalled the second set and put on another brand of tire. Sold the Explorer at 160K never having bought a tire and never having had any problem. Lucky eh?

check out some of the adv. rider forums about those shinkos. Their dual sport tires are a $60 imitation of the european tires and almost universally those riders said the Shinkos delam'd at speeds around 80.....not good.

I got a pair of shenkos. They are great. I commute 40 miles through The Bronx and Queens
everyday 10 months a year on my Panzer field gray 01 GS. Paid $170 for the pair and they are as good
as my Tourances were for the previous 40K miles. Robust tread and good enough in the twisties.
Made in China but seem good value to me.
:drink

Back