• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

ABS system (r1200r)

f14rio

I got the impression from something I read (here I think) that you can have an ABS problem if the servo valve isn't cycled periodically.

does that mean I should periodically apply full (or hard) front lever force to stop the bike?

Only if you want to break your neck....

Rather make sure the brake fluid is changed on schedule, and as long as you don't have an alarm, your ABS should work when needed.

And hopefully you won't ever need it.....

Guy

Engaging your ABS will not hurt you or the bike. Having said that, I have never heard that it needs to be done to keep the system working properly.

I will say, having been riding for 45 years and teaching MSF for 13 years, that I believe it is a good idea to find maximum braking on any bike a person rides, and engaging your ABS lets you know what it feels like and what to expect in a true emergency stop.

not sure gbuncher understands that

applying hard brakes using the hand lever also applies rear brake

To show you how hard it is to engage the ABS on our bikes, I applied the front brake so hard one time the rear wheel came off the ground before the ABS kicked in. If you do this, be careful. Easy to engage the ABS if the rear brake only is operated. But as said the front brake also operates the rear brake, at least it does on my 2012 R1200R.

To show you how hard it is to engage the ABS on our bikes, I applied the front brake so hard one time the rear wheel came off the ground before the ABS kicked in. If you do this, be careful. Easy to engage the ABS if the rear brake only is operated. But as said the front brake also operates the rear brake, at least it does on my 2012 R1200R.

I usually "test" my ABS for the reasons Rad describes on a wet day. When I get a new vehicle I like to find out what the ABS feels like and it's easier to trigger the system when the road is damp.

I believe he was saying that a flush doesn't get into the ABS section, with the motors (I have the whizzy 2005 ABS). Activating the ABS flushes that area with the new fluid. I'm just saying what he, as a long time BMW mechanic, said. I can't comment on it. But it does substantiate that it is not "internet rumor" but came from a trusted source. Activating the ABS is not a big deal, so I do it.

I believe he was saying that a flush doesn't get into the ABS section, with the motors (I have the whizzy 2005 ABS). Activating the ABS flushes that area with the new fluid. .

All my Oil Heads, and my two whizzy ones engaged the ABS early on rough pavement, in my opinion; so, mine got activated plenty of times.......Could be why I never had a failure:laugh

Back