• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Digital readout

Justscootin

Jeff Wilson life member
When you press the info button and you can see fuel consumption and the other one. Can someone explain to me what the first fuel readout and the second one are really telling me. I am not sure if I am reading it right or it is not accurate. As for example I was doing 80km (50 miles) an hour and the first one read 4.9 litres per 100 and the second one read 2.6 litres per 100 what is it telling me. Can they be reset?

I could never figure it out

When you press the info button and you can see fuel consumption and the other one. Can someone explain to me what the first fuel readout and the second one are really telling me. I am not sure if I am reading it right or it is not accurate. As for example I was doing 80km (50 miles) an hour and the first one read 4.9 litres per 100 and the second one read 2.6 litres per 100 what is it telling me. Can they be reset?

I could never figure it out

I don't have a scooter, so I can't say for sure, but a lot of vehicles will show the average mileage and instant mileage. Normally most people reset the average mileage at each fill up.
If I'm not right, at least I bumped your thread. :)

I don't have a scooter, so I can't say for sure, but a lot of vehicles will show the average mileage and instant mileage. Normally most people reset the average mileage at each fill up.
If I'm not right, at least I bumped your thread. :)

That is correct sir, instant and average. The average can be reset by holding the info button for a second with the average displayed.

That is correct sir, instant and average. The average can be reset by holding the info button for a second with the average displayed.

I understand that part so to expand on that, the first one is reading the average. Now is it average that day or average for the history of the bike.

I understand that part so to expand on that, the first one is reading the average. Now is it average that day or average for the history of the bike.

It is the average of the time riden until you reset it. the only reading that resets every day is "milage a" it will reset after a set number of hours not ridden. The MPG average goes until you reset it.

Average from the last time you reset it.
If you have not reset it, the display is showing the average since the bike was purchased.

You need to reset it each time you get gas if you want to know what mileage you're getting for that tank.

I haven't seen a good correlation between the two. I have reset the average on the highway and then watched the "instant". The instant will read like 65.1 the entire time. After 30 miles the average will read 52.3 or something like that.

I'm really not a mileage minder but I'm gonna have to check the old fashioned way!

I have reset the average on the highway and then watched the "instant". The instant will read like 65.1 the entire time. !

That's strange. Unless the road is tabletop flat, the wind does not change, and you hold your speed dead even, the instant should be all over the place.
The few times I've have looked at the instant mileage on my wife's car, it will read between 10MPG and 99MPG because of the hills in southern Iowa.
If I reset the Avg MPG on my K1300S when I fill up, it checks pretty close to doing the math of gallons and miles.

My "instant" seems to stick at 65.1 an awful lot oo I've noticed. However, if you "nail" the throttle it will definitely drop, or if I am going down a steep hill it will raise a lot (99 mpg range).
The "A" tripmeter is your mileage for the day, based on the date in the cluster, "I think". I will have to take it for a midnight ride to verify sometime.

The "A" tripmeter is your mileage for the day, based on the date in the cluster, "I think". I will have to take it for a midnight ride to verify sometime.

I wish my Trip "A" on my bike was this way.
Out of curiousity, is Trip "B" limted to 999 miles like it is on my bike? When I got my K1300S and saw it had two Trips, I had hoped to use Trip "B" on trips, but that didn't work with the 999 mile limit.

You guys have it pretty much sorted already I think.
As an aside, what AVG are you guys getting?
I have not reset the AVG since purchase, after about 1400 miles I'm at 46.

You?

I haven't seen a good correlation between the two. I have reset the average on the highway and then watched the "instant". The instant will read like 65.1 the entire time. After 30 miles the average will read 52.3 or something like that.

I'm really not a mileage minder but I'm gonna have to check the old fashioned way!

I'm in South Florida....doesn't get much flatter than here! When I have done this it is on a straight 30 mile flat run at 70 mph. Yes it will vary a little..but it pretty much sticks at that spot.

Unrelated I have the same feature on my 06 SSR...I have tried to see how low I can get it to go:D So far the "best" I have done on launch is 4 mpg!:dance

I wish my Trip "A" on my bike was this way.
Out of curiousity, is Trip "B" limted to 999 miles like it is on my bike? When I got my K1300S and saw it had two Trips, I had hoped to use Trip "B" on trips, but that didn't work with the 999 mile limit.

I think there is some confusion, there is no trip "B", there is Trip 1, Trip 2, and Trip "A". Trip 1 and 2 are the common types, where it only resets when you reset it (and sorry I don't even have 999 miles on mine yet, not even half way to the first service yet thanks to our continuing BS weather here in the midwest). Anyways, Trip "A" resets itself at midnight, so only shows miles in a day. Again i am not sure if you ride right past midnight, if it does rest at midnight or what, I bet it does.

i would be happy with a simple bigger easy to read color LED speedo - say like the one in the mini cooper!

Or the Honda Civic, that the readouts can be set for metric or imperial so if you travel to the neighboring country you are prepared

On our scooters in Canada our speedometer is only kmph. On your scooters in the USA they are MPH on the outside and Kmph on the inner circle.

Back