• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

XM Satellite connection to BMW GPS mount wiring harness

bobcowin

I just picked up my R1200GS last night! Unfortunately it's raining today, so hope to get out on it tomorrow.

Today I was playing around and getting familiar with the bike. I got the option package that includes the GPS mount, but did not purchase the Navigator since I already have the Garmin 665. That plugs right in and even appears to send the time to the dash. I know I won't be able to control it with the handlebar wheel, etc.

My question is, does the BMW mount wiring harness have anywhere to plug my XM satellite antenna in? If so where is the connection point? I tried taking body panels off to follow the wiring, but got stuck taking off the first one!

Thanks.

Bob

Last edited:
No it doesn't, I had the cradle for my 665 installed and wired in so I could use XM and the nav. weather, my thumb wheel now does nothing.

No it doesn't, I had the cradle for my 665 installed and wired in so I could use XM and the nav. weather, my thumb wheel now does nothing.

Thanks for the confirmation. Initially I thought you meant that you took off the entire mounting bracket to add your cradle. Today I noticed (I'm a little slow I guess) that the actual connector can be removed and replaced with mine! Did you do this yourself or have the dealer do it? I've tried twice now to remove the body panels to trace the wiring and can't seem to remove enough of the panels to follow it. If you did it yourself, how did you do it?

Thanks.

It took two hours but I was able to swap out the BMW mount for my old Garmin mount, and now have the XM antenna hooked up. It was nice to have the ignition cut power to the Garmin, or at least tell the Garmin that it was time to shut down, but with all the rain we've been having lately I will be glad to have the weather on it again!

Back