• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

'98 R1100RT Side Stand Shut Off No Longer Working

Maybe - but a more complicated explanation is needed. Does it always act like the side stand is down or up? Can you start the bike? If not, does the RID work? Can you put the side stand down with the bike running and not have it stall? Is this the same in gear and in neutral? Or in other words, how exactly is it not working?

Maybe - but a more complicated explanation is needed. Does it always act like the side stand is down or up? Can you start the bike? If not, does the RID work? Can you put the side stand down with the bike running and not have it stall? Is this the same in gear and in neutral? Or in other words, how exactly is it not working?

Up until a week ago, when ready to dismount the bike, with the bike in first gear, I'd lower the side stand and the engine would turn off. Now, with the side stand deployed, the engine continues to run. Starting the bike is not a problem, neither is turning it off by either the key or the kill switch. It was just more convenient turning the bike off with the side stand. What is RID? :dunno

Rider Information Display - the LCD display on the right side of the fairing, with the gas gauge & clock.
Whether or not it works is a major clue in some troubleshooting cases; if it doesn't come on when the key is on, then an electrical fault is easier to pinpoint.

In your case - not the issue. The sidestand switch is another nannycrat feature, to help prevent folks from riding off when the stand is still down (and we've ALL done it at some time...). The switch is subject to failure due to its exposure to the environment (rain, road debris, oil, exhaust heat); usually they fail "open" (no worky at all). Instead of buying a replacement, many people choose to just jumper across the wires, creating the condition you have now. If you want to R&R it, it's really pretty straight-forward, go for it.

Sounds like you probably have the rare switch that fails in a way that you can still ride the bike.

At some point (and I don't know which year) a relay was added so you could have the engine running with the side stand down as long as you were in neutral. That creates one more question: Prior to the failure, could you have the engine running while you were in neutral, but not in gear or would the engine shut down regardless of the gear selection?

Is there a simply fix for this problem? :dunno

Thanks in advance. :bow

The contacts on the sidestand switch, which passes the +12V from the kill switch to the starter switch, have fused themselves closed. Or the inside the switch actuator that opens the contacts has failed. I would be concerned I think that at some point they could open but then not close again. Hard to say. I'd be inclined to fix it.

If the switch can be unplugged that would confirm it's the switch rather than the other possibility, which is that the two wires going to the switch are somehow shorted together.

http://www.mac-pac.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/R1100RT-Elec-Diagram-V2.pdf

On the classic Oilheads (MA2.2) the sidestand and kill switches did the same thing; kill the engine and starter. There is an add-on relay harness to let you run the engine with the sidestand down.

The MA2.4 bikes (1150-type) let you run with the stand down in neutral, but had that idiotic thing where the engine will still crank over.

The MA2.2 with add-on harness and the Hexheads have 'normal' systems that work as one would expect.

To the OP: sounds like you need to replace your sidestand switch.

The MA2.4 bikes (1150-type) let you run with the stand down in neutral, but had that idiotic thing where the engine will still crank over.

This happens to me a lot when I'm running errands. It made me look hard at the schematic. If the output of the Motronic relay is connected to the input of the Start Button (after disconnecting its input from the Kill Switch) the starter won't turn over until the bike can actually start. It's only a one wire change.

Last edited:
Lucky you. My old Suzuki had a side stand switch that would allow me to start the bike in neutral and only kill the engine when the bike was put into gear with the stand down. I have been toying with trying to do the same thing on my 1100rt, but it just isn't that high a priority.

Paul..... place the bike up on the centerstand and remove the sidestand from the bike. Then remove the sidestand switch and take it apart. You should be able to see if the switch is salvagable and clean and service it into working condition again. A great time to lube the sidestand bushing as well.

Lucky you. My old Suzuki had a side stand switch that would allow me to start the bike in neutral and only kill the engine when the bike was put into gear with the stand down. I have been toying with trying to do the same thing on my 1100rt, but it just isn't that high a priority.

oddly enough, that is how my 2001 R1100S is designed to operate- sidestand down starts and runs fine, dies if you go into a numbered gear with s-stand still down.
could not imagine a valid reason (other than to appease nanny lawyers) for having it operate otherwise.

Back