• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K1 Prices

EMSimon

No longer a member here
A 1990 Ketchup and Mustard K1 with 4,600 miles just sold on ebay for over $13,000.-
Seems like mine was a good investment after all.......

The one one eBay that sold was immaculate with something like 4k miles and sparkling paint work. Not to say other K1 won't raise in value, which it certianly will, but that one one eBay was as perfect as I have ever seen in the last few years. Now low mile doesn't equate great condition, but it sure looks good.

I agree, it was in great condition. But still, I ahve not seen a K1 selling for over 10K in quite a while. And I walked into the garage and looked at my K1 (7,000km, German model) and it doesn't look much worse than the one that sold.:thumb

Makes me feel good about my project going on now in my shop
1990 K1 with 8000 miles
paid $3000 for it one $650 order for parts so far
the paint and body work cleaned up great and no cracks anywhere
I just like the blue and yellow better.
Ernie

Just wondering what makes the K1 so special?

I own the "sister" bike; 1992 K100RS. Very similar as they share the same Owner's Manual. Of course, different body work. When I bought mine a few years ago from a dealer for $6000 it was in pristine condition and had 12K miles. Figured I paid way too much but, hey, this was a replacement for a totaled K75RS which I loved. (K75 modified by original owner; VERY difficult to replace.) Still love the KRS fairing and apparently not the same shaft drive problems as earlier K's. Of course more (and un-needed) power and a higher insurance bracket where I live. But can't see ever selling it until I quit riding.

Is it just possible (if it remains in good condition) that this bike will be worth more in 10 years than I paid for it? Just asking; I don't really care. Good to have a $6000 love affair which my wife knows about and doesn't seriously disapprove of, even though I do have to pay several hundred dollars a year to insure her and look after her health needs.

Just wondering what makes the K1 so special?
I own the "sister" bike; 1992 K100RS. Very similar as they share the same Owner's Manual. Of course, different body work. When I bought mine a few years ago from a dealer for $6000 it was in pristine condition and had 12K miles. Figured I paid way too much but, hey, this was a replacement for a totaled K75RS which I loved. (K75 modified by original owner; VERY difficult to replace.) Still love the KRS fairing and apparently not the same shaft drive problems as earlier K's. Of course more (and un-needed) power and a higher insurance bracket where I live. But can't see ever selling it until I quit riding.

Is it just possible (if it remains in good condition) that this bike will be worth more in 10 years than I paid for it? Just asking; I don't really care. Good to have a $6000 love affair which my wife knows about and doesn't seriously disapprove of, even though I do have to pay several hundred dollars a year to insure her and look after her health needs.

By the same token, you could ask what makes a R90S so special....If you use the practical approach in assessing the "value" or "attraction" of a bike like this, you may have a hard time coming to a conclusion.
I understand, technically, there is not much difference between a K1 and the "sister" models. But.... the K1 was made in limited numbers, it had unique bodywork and colors, in the early years it had a 4-valve engine compared to the contemporary RS, it was intended by BMW and was and is commonly perceived as a "milestone" in the motorcycle world. All things that do not apply to an RS. Not that an RS is not a good bike, but I don't think a 1992 K100RS will ever be much more than $6,000.

Didn't think that was possible but will defer to you for advice.
What color should my R1150RT be painted to make it faster than the others?

Some of the R1150RTs offer an easier way to make them faster. There is a certain amount of bikes that were produced (check Phil Hawksley's listing of VIN numbers) which have a couple of horsepower hidden in the small compartment that normally takes the radio. Just open the lid and they will come out. You will outrun all other R1150RTs!

It's just that the red and yellow ones were faster....

maybe I should get a faster red and yellow one to have in the shop for days when I feel the need for speed
but how do I keep the wife out of the shop I think she will notice a color change every time I leave the house!!!
Ernie:brow

On the second double crown seven, so excuse the ramble, but, got the second scoot this summer, 85KRS, still sorting, but, it definitely has twenty or more horses than the ten years older R90S.

Riding the S is like an old hot rod. It winds out fast and pulls hard, so hard I think the tranny might give out. The RS is different, it pulls smooth, turbine like, but so much higher speed quicker. I like each for what it is and will ride'em until I can't. Never has crossed the mind what they're worth if I would sell. A bike is worth only what it can give in good vibes and simple joy as you pull out of driveway, and crank the throttle. If I ever get to old to ride, push'em to the back of garage, let the grand children figure it out. Cheers fellow beemer lovers, hope to see some you down the road again.

yearly K1 production numbers

Anyone know the yearly production numer for each year the K1 was produced. I'm particularly interested in 1991 and 1992

Back