• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

RS Fork Gaiters

King

"Enthusiast"
What's the best adhesive to install new fork boots on an RS fairing? I recall it used to be an issue.

I would say use Permatex Super Weatherstrip adhesive. Another glue I've been using lately for various around home jobs is Gorilla Glue...it expands a bit when used so that needs to accounted for.

On this very same application I used a product called "3M PLASTIC AND EMBLEM ADHESIVE", #08061. I use it on all kinds of rubber to plastic applications. A 5oz. tube is about $25 at NAPA. You can generally tell how good a product is by how awful it smells. The warning on this product states;

DANGER! extremely flammable liquid and vapor. Vapors may cause flash fire. May cause allergic skin reaction.

yeah,....the good stuff....I'm getting a head rush just thinking about it...heinous chemicals

After cleaning the groove with some type of solvent, I used about 6 drops of super glue at equal spacing around the boot.

Thanks all. I remember back in the day some buddies (and dealers) had trouble with this. I've also seen fairings all goobered up with all colors of adhesive. I'll sniff out your recommendations.

I would say use Permatex Super Weatherstrip adhesive. Another glue I've been using lately for various around home jobs is Gorilla Glue...it expands a bit when used so that needs to accounted for.

As a life long woodworker I tried Gorilla glue-more than once- some for woodworking & do not like the stuff for lots of reasons! I did in fact read an article that tested various glues & it actually is less water resistant than some other much less expensive & far easier to use wood glues-point being, I'd stick with the Permatex/3M type weatherstrip products mentioned around that much water. You don't want to be removing Gorilla glue form that MC.

Back