• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

North Georgia Mountains

beemeup

2009 R1200RT
I'm planning on traveling from Maine to the RA Rally in Asheville, NC in June. I'm going to leave
early and want to spend a few days in the mountains of North Georgia. What are the "must see"
things and "must ride" roads in this region. I have maps and have studied the area quite a bit, but
I usually find that input from people who live in the area always offers the best information. Any
suggestions? I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

It depends on what do you want to do. Suches is North of Dahlonega there is camping at various locations, and some of the best riding in the country. I would stay out of Dahlonega and or Helen (tourist traps).

Skeenah Creek Campground

I'm going to be camping and was thinking I might go to Skeenah Creek Campground in Suches.
So far I'm planning on riding up Brasstown Bald, riding "The Viper", hitting the good BBQ places,
North Georgia BBQ in Helen is on my list and Colonel Pooles in Ellijay for the spectacle. I'm only
going to have 2-3 days and those will be after a day or two of hard riding to get there, so I also
want to relax a bit. I'm thinking I need to really zero in on seeing the best and most I can in a
limited amount of time without burning myself out. So there's the plan...........suggestions?

Skeenah is ok but by June the old TWO will be open in downtown Suches you might want to take into consideration. It will be called Two Wheels of Suches. If you want spectacle just hanging out at the gas station in Suches is plenty of entertainment.

Look at your map GA 180 from Suches to US 129 go north take 180 east to Brasstown Bald for scenery go towards 348 Richard Russell look for 356 on the other side come out on 197 go towards us76 and return. nice day ride you can make it as short or long as you want.

For BBQ best is Jims Q in us129 north, his ribs are excellent and the same for his pork and brisket.

PM me and I will give you more info

The property formerly known as TWO was purchased by a motorcyclist and he had rebuilt the complete place. At this time they are finishing the bathhouse which will be brand new, I guess it will be open for Memorial day.

They do have a facebook page as Two wheels of Suches.

As Cal said, MANY fine roads in the area. Georgia 17, Georgia 60, Georgia 180 (Wolf Pen Gap RD), Georgia 348 (Russell Scenic Highway) & US 129 (Blood Mountain) just to name a few.

I'm planning on traveling from Maine to the RA Rally in Asheville, NC in June. I'm going to leave
early and want to spend a few days in the mountains of North Georgia. What are the "must see"
things and "must ride" roads in this region. I have maps and have studied the area quite a bit, but
I usually find that input from people who live in the area always offers the best information. Any
suggestions? I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!
Noticed the Snake under the Dragon so you have been in the area. For some reason, N.Ga has become overrun by LEO's on most week ends. IMO, if you can schedule for that area do it during the week. I totally agree with the avoid Helen comments. There is some excellent riding N and E of Asheville clear up to the WV border, even into VA and Ky.

Southbound....

I did the BRP in 2010 and stayed at Big Meadows in Shennandoah National Park on Skyline Drive, then
had a most enjoyable stay at Willville at Field of Dan, VA, from there to the Blue Ridge Campground in Cruso, NC for a few days. I rode The Dragon, Cheraholla Skyway and The Snake in Tennessee. I'm more
of a Cheraholla Skyway guy myself........I love the long sweepers, no so much on the hair pin anti gravity curves on the Dragon and Snake. I'm excited to hear that TWO will be an option, my stays at motorcycle only campgrounds so far have been great. My plan is to do 2-3 days in Georgia, then head up to Asheville for the RA Rally and do some riding in that area, then when the rally breaks get on the BRP and start heading
north again. I really appreciate all the info everyone.

Since you asked....

Since you asked about North Georgia, here's a few links from Sunday Morning Rides. I'll probably add one this weekend too.

http://www.sundaymorningrides.com/road/1383272/
http://www.sundaymorningrides.com/road/2007023/
http://www.sundaymorningrides.com/road/2945079/
http://www.sundaymorningrides.com/road/5968803/
http://www.sundaymorningrides.com/road/3407971/

Another good lunch stop is Turner's Corner Cafe near Cleveland on the corner of GA HWY 9/US 19 & US 129. You can sit on the deck overlooking the river and the motorcycles pulling up to the intersection.

TWoS is pretty much right in the middle of a few of these.

I can't take any credit for Sunday Morning Rides at all. All I've done is use it and contributed a few files to it. But it is a great site.

Here's a thought if you're not in a big hurry to get back home. This will be a great bunch of guys and girls, we'll hit some great roads to these fun locations and it will take you back in the direction you'll be heading for home. Just read down the first post.
See you at the RA either way!

TWO of Suches....

Anyone see or hear any new information about when they are opening? The last thing I saw was on their Facebook page and it was dated May 15, saying that they were close. I sure hope they open soon.

TWoS will be open as of this weekend. It will not be officially open until their new bathhouses are finished.

Thanks Cal!

Thanks for the update Cal, I'm going to be down there June 15-18, so they should be in good shape by then.
Stop in for breakfast on me at TWOs if you're in the neighborhood, PM me and we'll set it up. I'm easy
to spot, my RT looks like my Avatar and will likely be one of very few there with Maine plates.

So glad that once again NW Georgia has NOT been mentioned. THE NE quadrant is tourist heaven and a definate destination for all the yups that live in Atlanta or come down here to visit. lol.......The ommision of NW Georgia, HWY 136 over to NW Alabama and the Interstates going north to head you back to Maine is a welcomed fact. Alabama and the North bound interstate is perhaps 2 hours from Elijay and I-75 up to Chattanooga and then North is 45 minutes...... It totally means I can take the highways over here and not be bothered by ANY traffic most any day of the week. Few LEO's, NO RV's, and few yups; but locals poking along to go down to the store for breakfast can be a hazard.

Anyway, LOTS of roads over here and MANY campgrounds that are pretty much empty during the week and NOT crowded on weekends..............lol.......yes, good food at most any little store you want to stop at and find out what southern home cooking is about..............Have a good trip.....God bless.......Dennis

I was at TWO last week and it still needs some time. I am a camp host at Vogel State Park on 129@180. Can have one or two guests if you wanna stay over. hot showers!

Will be heading to RA with the group leaving form Wildcat Lodge Suches on 16th. Bring a friend.

There;s an off road area called Coopers Creek off 180 that is supposed to have many miles of fire roads to explore. and the Fish Hatchery area just north off 60. No bad roads here... getting lost is great sport.

Back