• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1972 R75/5 Sidestand - Favor?

NigelS

Could someone with an R75/5 do me a big favor? With the bike on the center stand, pull out the side stand and measure the distance from the bottom of the "foot" to the ground?

I believe my side stand must be bent. The bike leans way, way over. Far too far for my taste - and looks like it's about to fall over.

I've looked at pictures of stands online, but it's difficult to gauge the geometry. A quick measurement would confirm my suspicions - Thanks.

Mine used to do that too. The sidestand was bent; way bent (and what's more I remember how I bent it). I replaced it with a Browns.

Let me preface this reply by saying I don't believe my side stand to be a stock part but the angle the bike sits at on the stand is just right. When center-standed and I flip out the side stand it's tip is 4" from the floor.

(Like many of these old bike threads one answer raises another question... even on my center stand both of my tires are in contact with the ground, they can be spun but requires some effort, my center stand appears to be the factory part so I've always wondered if this is normal? I thought the purpose was to get the tire, front or rear, off the ground so it could be removed?)

(Like many of these old bike threads one answer raises another question... even on my center stand both of my tires are in contact with the ground, they can be spun but requires some effort, my center stand appears to be the factory part so I've always wondered if this is normal? I thought the purpose was to get the tire, front or rear, off the ground so it could be removed?)

If the centerstand is indeed stock, and the tires are touching the ground, then either the bushings or the stop point for the stand are very worn. Here's a link to a picture of a stock /5 on its centerstand...the front wheel should be well off the ground:

http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/photos/photophotos/LWB5white 002.jpg

The most common ride-off stand is the Reynolds ride-off, shown here:

http://w6rec.com/duane/bmw/reynolds/reynolds9.jpg

1972 R75/5 with mostly unused side and centerstand in original condition
Installed brown sidestand years ago when bought low mileage bike - never used orig stand since
Seldom use centerstand due to bad back - need to be at shop to roll up on 2x boards to deploy

On centerstand with front wheel on ground and rear off dist up to sidestand foot is 3 1/2 inches
On centerstand with rear wheel on ground and front off dist up to sidestand foot is 4 inches

Tires true old style 3.25 x 19 front 4.00 x 18 rear

Attachments

• 1972_R75_sidestand.jpg
    1972_R75_sidestand.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 56
Back