• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

brakes R1100RT

St0mP121

I'm just looking to put new brake pads on. What brand names to go with when dealing with brake pads? seeing some cheap ones on ebay but i am not a big fan of "cheap made brakes" I have seen a lot of auto brake shoes really mess up the disk. so im kinda iffy about getting from ebay. Beemerboneyard does not have to many options for me looks like i need 2 brands one for rear and one for front made from 2 different brands. I have never mixed brands on my auto's i see no reason to start now.

Bike is a 99 R1100RT with mags.

The OEM brake pads are probably the best option even though they are a bit spendy. If used properly they last a heck of a long time. That said another popular choice is EBC. They have several types but I chose the HH sintered version based on advice found here. You can get these on Amazon for competitive prices.

Part numbers:
Front: EBC Double-H Sintered Brake Pads FA407HH
Rear: EBC Double-H Sintered Brake Pads FA363HH

Paid about $27 a set last year. Obviously you need two sets for the fronts.

It is really odd that they only sell a 1/2 set. who in their right mind would only put 1 side on? but you are right the last set i got from the dealer has lasted me a long long time. ill just go with dealer oem i guess. its only the 2nd time i have had to put brakes on my bike since ownership. last time the dealer put them on. and thank you for your reply..

It is really odd that they only sell a 1/2 set. who in their right mind would only put 1 side on? but you are right the last set i got from the dealer has lasted me a long long time. ill just go with dealer oem i guess. its only the 2nd time i have had to put brakes on my bike since ownership. last time the dealer put them on. and thank you for your reply..

Because some bikes (not necessarily BMW) have calipers which take the same pads have only a single disk probably. Or, folks have a leaky fork seal that contaminates the pads on one caliper and not the other, and they would have a huge hissy fit if forced to buy 4 pads when they needed two.

For almost any vehicle I can buy one, two, three, four or more apark plugs but usually would replace two, three, four, six or eight depending on the engine.

1998 r1100rt

At the Sedalia rally I bought Spiegler lines and Carbone Loraine pads for the front.
EBC's on the back, but who cares?

The original (I'm almost sure) pads were only about 2/3 gone, after 14 years and almost 70,000 miles.
And frankly they provided plenty of stopping power.

I replaced the lines and pads (and fluid) at the same time, which throws away any science that might have been gained.
Turns out I had been really using only the right side for an indeterminate amount of time since the left rubber hose had swollen shut.

So the transformation was pretty amazing, the braking power can actually be a bit alarming now.

If you have an old bike, please consider replacing the rubber brake hoses. I can definitely recommend the Spieglers, but even if you went back with OEM it could save your life.

Back