• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Grounds for Fairing Gauges

Liaison
Staff member
This past weekend, I decided to tackle a problem I've been having with my fairing voltmeter. I have it wired directly to the battery, routed through a waterproof switch on the inside surface of the fairing...that way I can cut off power while the bike is parked. But the voltmeter was giving my strange readings while running down the road at speed, showing below 13v at times, moving around, and finally over time, edging up towards 13.5v. The alternator light never comes on, so I dismissed these readings; also the bike starts crisply so I figured I was getting good charging at the battery. I've used my hand-held voltmeter to confirm that. But if I'm dismissing the fairing meter, why even have it?? :banghead

I decided to look at the grounds within the left-side pocket of the fairing. I have the Luftmeister fairing with the voltmeter and a clock. Each has a backlight for power. So, just for these two gages, there's power as well as a ground wires. What I had done was to take all of the ground lugs for each of these gages (power and lights) and couple them together with a single bolt/nut through them. A pigtail lug and wire was also part of this stackup which ran out of the bottom of the fairing to the bolt at the ignition coil. A common ground wire for both gages.

I began to wonder if the ground return path for all both gages (remember, two for power and two for the lights) was overwhelming the single ground wire to the coil. The gages have maybe 16-gage wire while the single ground wire is more like 20-gage wire...not sure of the size, but it was clear that the size of the single ground wire was smaller. There's not a lot of current running through these two gages, but still I wondered about the size difference.

So, what I did this past weekend was take the stackup of ground lugs apart and clean them with some RatShack cleaner. I also interleaved internal tooth star washers to help bite into the lugs. I retightened the bolt/nut that holds all of these together. Then I went for a ride.

Holy cow! Once up to speed, the voltmeter read between 14.0 and 14.1v the entire time, dipping a bit when coming to a stop. Now that's what I call a good charging voltage...and a proper reading voltmeter. I'm sure glad I did that! Prior to this, I had always just ignored the voltmeter, certainly since the alternator light never came on at speed. But now, I guess I'd better pay attention! It actually works!!

Sounds like a plan. On my newly (+20yrs) aquired Don Vesco fairing I have decided to take all the ground leads from the fairing devices and route them to a "bus" style electrical connection and from there through (2) 12-14 gauge (do not remember) wires to the ground by the ignition coils, this allowes more load (limited in respect to the alternator and system requirements) without the worry of heat on the original old worn wires in the fairing. This helped out tremendously and allowed for easier trouble shooting and maintenance. Ill up load some pics later on today when I get home.

Back