Thread: best rides in Florida?

calva

best rides in Florida?

I just bought a 2007 k1200gt and live in south Florida. Any good rides hereabouts? Daytrips or weekenders.

BMW Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by calva View Post
    I just bought a 2007 k1200gt and live in south Florida. Any good rides hereabouts? Daytrips or weekenders.
    Sorry to say but after you've done the Keys a few times you need to head north at least a couple of hundred miles plus heading into the Carolinas' will put a smile on your face. That smile can be hard to come by in South Florida after you've been there a while. Making sure you have interesting restaurants to stop at can make the trip more pleasant.

The SNAKE 421. Bristol, Southwest Virginia

Rides

East of Tampa there is an area that is riddled with phosphate mines. That area has some decent roads that will make you think you're having fun! Hwy 78 along the Peace river is kind of fun too. Just get out in the middle of the state and look for the most forsaken little roads you see. Take them!
    04 R1150RT
    09 R1200GS
    Homemade trailer for behind Both.

The SNAKE 421. Bristol, Southwest Virginia

South?

Quote Originally Posted by calva View Post
    East side, or West side?
    04 R1150RT
    09 R1200GS
    Homemade trailer for behind Both.

There are many short rides around Ocala, Panama City, sections of A1A, The Old Dixie Highway from Rt 1 to Ormond Beach etc. Contact nearby Clubs to find out where they ride. There are many interesting roads south of Jacksonville even "GASP" some with actual turn and changes in elevation. Good maps like those from Delorme show topography as well as 2 lane/back roads. I'm sure that South Florida has many unique locations and venues of interest for motorcyclists.

RIDE SAFE
    Cave Contents: 1980 R100RT/Ural Sidecar, 2004 R1200CLC, 2006 HD FSXTI
    Ride Safe

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Trip to N GA and NC, like others said.
    2010 F800GS Full Ohlins package, '04 R1100S Replika
    '01 F650GS Wife's bike
    Maritime Alps and Vosges 2012
    Tuscany and Central Italy 2010

A couple of decent rides in Florida. If an east coaster, I like the ride down to Flamingo through Everglades Natl Park. A few decent back roads to take there.

One of my regular rides is up to Lake Okeechobee and the surrounding area---north to Sebring and Lake Placid. Wide open and some sights to see.

Of course, there's A1A along the beach communities---can be fun to ride, stop and enjoy the eateries.

I've taken the ride from SE Florida north through the middle of the state to Ocala Natl Forest but its a long way for a "C" quality ride area IMO.
    Mike M
    2014 GSA
    MOA# 86571

2012 R1200R
    as far as roads go, for my money you can saw off Florida straight across Highway 60 from Vero to Naples and let it float out to sea. Roads are straight flat and boring. if you're lucky you'll see a gator crossing the road. What the hey, it's Florida. We pay for the weather by having roads a tourist can navigate blindfolded.

North and West for you...

Check out Ozello for an overnighter. Trails End, Gobbler Dr., Withlapopka, Floral City area. Best you will find in the state. Ocala has some good roads on the west side if you look for them. The Skyway bridge down in St. Pete is fun for a few minutes.

Scooter Whisperer
    Well...there is a bit of a curve at mile marker 73.3 on Alligator Alley
    2013 C650GT
    1964 Vespa GS, 1968 Vespa SS 180, 1964 Vespa GL, 1967 Vespa GT

can't help but be sarcastic...

Do the Georgia Mountains count?

Do not listen to all the sand yankees. There are lots of interesting back roads in Florida. Get yourself a MAP,and start riding the back roads. Learn them and ride some more. Some of us grew up without I-states,and have ridden lots of good roads. I can ride from Georgia to Key West and never ride an I-state. I've retired and moved to north Georgia,the rides here are....well I'd better not say or there will be more sand yankees up here.

Cal
    Get a DeLorme Gazeteer for the state of Florida. Look for secondary roads like Rich said. Ride to the Edward Ball Lodge in Wakulla Springs, spend the night go home.
    Cal Garcia
    Suches, GA

2012 R1200R
    Quote Originally Posted by RDUBARTON View Post
    Do not listen to all the sand yankees. There are lots of interesting back roads in Florida. Get yourself a MAP,and start riding the back roads. Learn them and ride some more. Some of us grew up without I-states,and have ridden lots of good roads. I can ride from Georgia to Key West and never ride an I-state. I've retired and moved to north Georgia,the rides here are....well I'd better not say or there will be more sand yankees up here.
    I rode my go-cart down the center of a section of Interstate 4 when it was piles of limestone under construction. That was the last time any interstate was fun. There are about 3 "good" roads in Florida. Hundreds of decent, passably pleasant, very scenic, riding roads. You can go 200 miles in any direction without using a limited access highway. But about 1/2 of any route over 50 miles will be straight, flat, and boring at best; clogged with traffic at worst, and will almost always force you to use a multi-lane highway of some sort. You North GA boys have a good life!