• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2012 R1200RT fuel gauge on vacation

Mr. Jim
My almost new (approx 4K miles) 2012 RT is telling me that I have a full tank of gas all the time. This bike is suppose to have the float system and not the fuel strip. It was fine when I put to sleep last fall (I also removed the battery at that time). This spring after replacing the battery everything but the fuel gauge is working as it was last fall. I can take it to the dealer (150 miles) but I thought I'd try this forum for its collected wisdom.

My almost new (approx 4K miles) 2012 RT is telling me that I have a full tank of gas all the time. This bike is suppose to have the float system and not the fuel strip. It was fine when I put to sleep last fall (I also removed the battery at that time). This spring after replacing the battery everything but the fuel gauge is working as it was last fall. I can take it to the dealer (150 miles) but I thought I'd try this forum for its collected wisdom.

If its still under warranty take it in. Stuff like this you want to have documented.

I wonder if some of the fuel has gotten gummy around the base of the float? Maybe some type of fuel system cleaner (STP, etc) in the tank with the next fill up would loosen any goo?

Maybe call the dealer and see if they can give you some advice?

Good luck!

DBC

Well, it's probably time to read "BMW Motorcycle Reliability Quality Support Failure" above in this forum. My fuel R1200 GS's gauge is
variable...so I'm just watching the odo... Then again, it's seven years old.... Mac

Same thing happened to my 2011 RT while on vacation. Take it to the dealer. That's the only fix I know. I was as well disappointed that my float was as unreliable as the strips.

It's new so take it in. Maybe BMW will address this issue once and for all. I had mine changed once (2010RT) and so far it's good. I had the old SM at the dealer once tell me about avoiding certain gasoline and even tell me that I should be careful when touring thru New Mexico because they have bad gas. Ha! I told him that I had little control of the gas at different pumps and where we stopped for gasoline. He is no longer at the dealer.

tsp
My blog:
http://www.airheadmoto.com

Back