• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Final drive leaking gear oil-R1200GS

PeterLT

My R1200GS is leaking gear oil, I'm figuring it's a seal. I've removed the tire and brakes and now trying to pull the section appart with no luck. Can anyone give me any ideas on how to proceed.

There are quite a few videos on youtube. And also advrider. On advrider I believe Jim VonBaden makes his videos available. Advrider also has a number of threads about the seals, and the rear ends, specifically on the GS models.
dc

And let me give a link, so you can go ...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=880390&highlight=seal

And a link to the replacement of the inner seal. Now this is a 1100 RT, but I believe the inner seal is almost exactly the same on the 1200GS.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=806193&highlight=seal

Last edited:
for future reference, you r R12Gs is a HEXhead, not an OILhead. You will get your most focused responses by posting in that sub=forum.

Moving over to Hexheads...

adding the year and model in your title will help folks reply. I'll add what I know to title.

Well. I stand corrected. Well, actually I'm sitting down.
Yes, I see, it is behind the flange. So I guess step one is ... take off the flange. (Of course, if that is the inner seal. I think the JVB link does deal with the outer seal.)
(Nor the output shaft seal).
Then, behind the flange, is the seal. No?
dc

Peter,

I'm curious - did you take a look at the DIY section? There is a rather extensive DIY on replacing the bearing that is actually outside the big seal. Chances are good if your seal went, the bearing may be at fault.

Here is a shortcut for you: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?66095 <-- clicketh here

The RT drive is much like your GS drive, perhaps a bit of difference depending on the year. If you don't have a manual and a good skillset with a wrench I'd turn this job over to your dealer.

Last edited:
Don
Thanks for the link on that. I'm going to have to check my rear end again. I know mine is not leaking.
I have a friend who is looking to rebuild one, and also bought another rear end to just switch into place.
I suppose anyone who didn't want to do that job theyself could have the dealer do it, or other local BMW repair shop do it, if they were known to be good at it.
But wasn't there someone around, even perhaps on this forum who could do that type of thing? Who was well known for doing an excellent job on those.
Or maybe for rebuilding quite a few of the rear ends, I don't know the specifics as to which models, and I don't know where they were located, perhaps it was down in Virginia or some such place. Which I think is where JVB is located is he not? But wasn't there someone else who could do that?
dc

Mine just did it!

My GSA 1200 had the outer small seal leak recently and its a REAL easy one to replace. Pop off the decorator ring(plastic) and its there in plain sight. The inner seal is obviously a bigger job, but I also did this one a few years ago. The 8 or 10 nuts all come off and separate the housing to get here. The speedo sensor also has a tiny o ring to check? I don't think any of the jobs are beyond your ability, if you're a reasonably good wrench. ALSO, the rear wheel play side to side, top to bottom, should be ZERO play, so if you have any, better get the carrier bearing looked at or replace it too. I did one inner seal a few years ago, as I was about to leave on a cross country ride the next morning. My FD leak rose its ugly head the night before departure! I got r done(self) in hours, having the parts(seal) right close by at a local dealer. I have turned wrenches a LONG time. Randy

... perhaps it was down in Virginia or some such place...

Could be me; I work on quite a few of these. You have a number of good shops there in CA, though, so you shouldn't need to go shipping it across the country. But if you want to, I'm an option.

Clovis,CA:)

I'm a BMW mechanic from the 70s, but been doing all the newer bikes in my shop at home, when those that know me, find me! I don't go looking anymore for work, but have done dozens of about everything and admit up front if I have no time on a particular job. I've owned about everything in BMW lineup until most recent years. My current GSA1200 is my latest I do all its service. Ya'll find me, I can do your work at half the dealer labor cost and stand behind my work too, as you watch if you like:). 3 other GSs, an Airhead and a KLR650 all occupy my garage space, so I get my share of work these days keeping bikes running:). Ya'll need help, just look East of Clovis or contact me and we talk. Randy

Back