• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

How do I remove steering damper knob ??

Mine isn?t woking anyway so I want to remove it. I think it broke somehow when it was a little tightend some years ago.
When I turn the knob now, I can see the nut in the other end turning - but nothing happens with the friction plate..
Have tried to hold the nut and unscrew it with the knob , but it?s stuck- REALLY HARD.

Any advises ?

And if I get it loose, do the parts come loose easily ? what comes loose ? only the rod or the friction plate to ?

The nut is supposed to be bonded to the lower plate. It seized to the shaft, which is why 1) it got broken loose from the plate in the first place, and 2) you can't get it off. I have had to cut it off in the same situation.

I'd just put a wrench on the nut and unscrew the rod. The nut is a pressed in affair on the plate. You can either replace the plate or spot weld the nut in position.

Have tried to hold the nut and unscrew it with the knob , but it?s stuck- REALLY HARD.

Hit it with a shot of KROIL and let it sit over night. Then try the wrench again.

Lew is right there. If that doesn't work, you might want to heat the nut, apply more Kroil and let it sit some more. The heated nut will draw the Kroil into the threads. Still won't work? Then heat the nut really hot and try again.

Then heat the nut really hot and try again.

Remembering of course that the fuel tank is right there tooo !!
icon_wink.gif

Or y' could jus' shade-tree it n' clamp some vice-grips around the base of the plastic knob until it cracks. Then clamp the vice-grips around the steel shaft 'n' commence torquin' on it 'til y' sumpin' snaps . .. .
toothlesssmiley-1_zpsb1ade59d.gif

If really stuck suggest slice into nut and rod with a dremel cutting wheel so the nut is cut in two and the rod ends up with a slot in it endwise - that way the knob and rod not destroyed and rod can be reused sometime if new nut/plate obtained or repaired

EYE PROTECTION OF COURSE!!!

Back