• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

zumo 550 keeps tilting down

MCOLLECT

My zumo 550 keeps falling down towards the tank. I tried to tighten the mounting screws- no help. Next I added a rubber washer between the mounting ears- no help. Am I missing something elementary?

Am I missing something elementary?
The answer is yes. OK, the bike came without a manual for the Zumo. So after posting I went out and took the thing off the holder. The screws only hold the metal bar to the ears and the stainless round bar rotates inside the plastic housing but is held fast to the ears. Two screws apply the tension to keep the Zumo in position. Problem solved! Thanks for looking.

Zumo tilt issues

My zumo 550 keeps falling down towards the tank. I tried to tighten the mounting screws- no help. Next I added a rubber washer between the mounting ears- no help. Am I missing something elementary?

I have had the same problem with vibration making the zumo tilt down. What I did was this: Take the unit off the cradle then tilt it as far back as you can that the torx head screws are visible. Unscrew the two torx screws and you will see the foam/rubberized strips that are clamped between the plastic holder and the crossbar. I used a utility knife to remove the foam/rubber and them cut two strips the same size as the (squashed) removed foam/rubber where I used avaible rubber pipe gasket material I had on hand then just assembled it as it was. I guess you could glue the rubber in place if you like but I found no need to and I think you have to be careful as to not use too thick of a rubber material because you could crack the plastic when you tighten the screws in re-assembly. In my opinion: I know for myself my zumo has worked nicely but I did have to send it back for a new remanufactured unit one time and will not do that again and with the prices falling as they have on other cheaper GPS units I may just go with a RAM mounted cheaper gps and throw it away rather than paying $250 for a remanufactured ZUMO next time. Anyone else have any thoughts on the ZUMO?

Back