• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

C650GT impression after 5,000 k's

Eccles

Hi from Downunder...

Well well, after just 10 weeks the speedo the C650 GT is just rolling over 5,000 klms. Ordinarily I'd have thought it would take me about 6 months to cover that distance, but I guess this millage is testament to how much I am enjoying the scoot.

I've had no issues apart from a weep from one of the bolts in the final drive and this easily fixed by torqueing it back up, otherwise all pure goodness.

Fuel consumption has varied from 3.8 l/100klms to 5.0 l/100klms depending on the level of enthusiasm used when riding. Around town, stop start and traffic lights etc has yielded 4.5l/100klms. 80-90 kph cruising yields the good sub 4.0 l/klms and one high speed run, mostly 100 kph+ together with many twisties, returned the 5.0 figure. Social weekend runs seems to sit in the 4.2 - 4.5 l/klms range. I consider this pretty good consumption for the level of performance that the scoot delivers.

Everything seems to bedding in really well now. The scoot is now more smooth in all areas (engine/suspension/seating) and jumps off from a standing start noticeably quicker. To guess, I'd say that it is easier 0.5 seconds quicker to 60 kph and same again to 100kph than when new.

On the performance and handling front, I can confirm that the reviews predicting the ability to run with sports bikes as true. I've now done several runs with groups of 1000cc+ sports bikes and have had no problem staying with them especially as the road tightens. Sure it doesn't have the blinding pickup of a true sports bike, but I've found that in these circumstances I only end up a few car lengths behind anyway, easy to make back up. This weekend past with the GRO group, I went up the Macquarie pass and down the Kangaroo valley switch backs (this area south of Sydney, AUS) and had no problem staying stuck to the lead group. I believe that these scoots handle as good as anything else that BMW produces. Why BMW themselves believe that these scoots are only meant for the city bewilders me, it's just awesome out on the open road.

The seat on the C650GT has proved a great place to be, with the nippier weather experienced lately the heated grips and seats are just heavenly. I've been caught out a little under dressed for the cooler temps experienced , we're heading into winter here, at the end of a long ride. But with the fairings protection, grips and scrummy heated seat it still made me feel comfortable and able to enjoy the rest of the ride.

Have also done about 30 K's on the dirt as well. This never presented a problem for the scoot, it remained sure footed and never bottomed the suspension. Not that it's the ideal surface for a scooter, but it's nice to know that the BMWer can handle the loose surface, ruts and potholes competently.

If anyone is comfortable to come up with the coin for one of these scoots, they will not be disappointed. The comfort, features and performance offered up really does justify the asking price. Definitely no buyers remorse here.

Thanks for your impressions. This puts me in a good position to go out for a little touring on the Blue Ridge Parkway in North Carolina. I was a little hesitant on account of earlier reader-reviews of starting issues with this bike. I completely agree with this scooter to actually being the best of all worlds. Talk of fuel efficiency, leg room, effective wind shield, heating grips and seat plus excellent stability at all speeds including slow speeds of 3-5 MPH.....road illumination is very impressive and pick up is definitely there ...the list is endless.

Thanks again. Fun scooting

Paul Mann

Scooter? Bike!

Great! The impression is really great! I have my 650GT ordered and I am looking forward to riding for FUN vs macho.

This puts me in a good position to go out for a little touring on the Blue Ridge Parkway in North Carolina.
Paul Mann

Go for it. Today we did 285 miles to Sebring and back two up...no problems at all. Average speed of 60 mph and 51 mpg. Now over 4K miles.

We want Blue Ridge Parkway photos!

It rallies!
Just got back from the GR3 in Soldiers Grove WI.
About 230 one way.
First longish trip, no problem.
Hauls the gear nicely, I strapped a Helen's bag to it but a lot of gear fits in the boot.
About 1800 miles now.

I have a customer in Eastern Washington. I decided to ride my sport out there. I loaded 4days of clothes and uniform shirts, into a Corbin tailback. I put under the seat; laptop, small toolbag 1liter fuel jug(some parts of my trip are thru remote areas) and minutia. thru the mountian pass (snoqualmie) along I-90 to Vantage and off the interstate thru farmer country. Final destination was Clarkston Washington, via Starbuck... averaging 41mpg for the trip, can be seen on my logs in Feully.com (the only blue c600 there, so far) 40mpg total over 10 fuelings with seattle riding as well.
I think If I do more trips like this I would add the Givi saddle bag system (easylock and mounting), I tried the Corbin saddlebags but the seat is too wide and they don't sit well (they were touching the paintwork).

I put it down as a sucessful ride and was really enjoyable, now Im off to hells gate before I go to the customer in the afternoon, and return to Seattle Friday.

If the GT is more comfomfortable, then it should be excelent, I will stick with sporty...

Didn't you have the Vespa or was it OU812 who had it? I remember watching that video scooting along the freight train.

What do you have in your stable now?

Hey man!
How's California treating you?
Four in stable now. RT, F800ST, C650GT and the mighty mighty ET4!
Yeah upgraded to a GoPro 3 but having trouble pulling the trigger with sticky mounts.
I mean . . . like . . stick this . . . . on my bike?
Blasphemy!
It'll happen though.
Peace my friend.

Looking for more feedback

Great! The impression is really great! I have my 650GT ordered and I am looking forward to riding for FUN vs macho.

Did you get your scoot yet? Give us some feedback; I think there are plenty of us still holding back for fear of it being the first year model.

DW

Wear bar starting to show on the front, nail in the rear. Maybe another 500 miles if pushed.

were those the Pirellis? I have 3500 hard fast miles on mine and they look like new, you could have an issue with bad compund and should look at getting BMW to change them.....? just a guess, do you ride on some REALLY rough roads?

they must put metzler on the GT's and Pirelli Diablo's on the sports then. I have prefered the Pirellis since using the Rosso 3's in Thailand, bad roads but still good milage and stickiness at high speed, 172mph for 2 tanks of gas from Chaing Mai to Bangkok. over 160mph from Lampung to Nothanburi....now if I could get another job over there and take the scooter with me.

My first 5000

Now I have just reached my first 5000. I am enjoying the ride as I needed something to fill in a void I have had for a while. I had a K75T back in the 90's and the bike was open and I was vulnerable to the weather. I wanted a full faring with better weather protection and mid size. I had other vehicles also and something had to go. I sold the bike.

12 years later the C650 GT came along, I saw it, rode it and bought it. Do I regret it, not at all. I have enjoyed every kilometer on it which also included 1 rally.

As for how is the scooter, a few small things my rear drive was wicking oil at the seam. This was fixed quickly and have not had a problem since. One day my speedometer went wacky for a few minutes, it corrected itself and has not happened since. The seat could be a little more comfortable after 75 miles. The turn signal switch has a cheap clicking sound and feel if you turn the signal off manually. The tires are excellent with lots of tread still. The tool kit feels cheap but it works for very basic jobs. The scooter acceleration is very good. To bad there is not a cruise control. I love the heated seat. I wish there was a workshop manual. I love the amount the scooter will carry under the set.

I have added GPS, a power socket on the dash, a top box (yes there is a recall).

I absolutely do love the scooter with no regrets

Attachments

• East Gwillimbury-20130722-00545.jpg
    East Gwillimbury-20130722-00545.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 101
See . . . now I have to sneak out of the house and get a quick hop in.
A little over 2200 now (that's miles).
Same wicking issue, solved.
Actually broke down and gave it some love and soap and water and like that. It seemed to like it.
I don't know how to say it other than, it's the same twist and go fun that hooked me when I was riding mini bikes as a kid.
Love it in traffic, no clutch riding. YES!

Crampbuster is all the cruise I need on this bike.

Last edited:
Think we may have some surprises in the maintaince arena, going thought the BMW computer with my dealers service manager 12000 mile service could get expensive as it calls for replacing drive chain. Not sure what the interval is for the valves. So far in the US doubt if anyone has reached the 12k point yet, anyone out their had the chain/valve service yet. If so cost please.

Think we may have some surprises in the maintaince arena, going thought the BMW computer with my dealers service manager 12000 mile service could get expensive as it calls for replacing drive chain. Not sure what the interval is for the valves. So far in the US doubt if anyone has reached the 12k point yet, anyone out their had the chain/valve service yet. If so cost please.

Here are the maintenance schedules.
http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?64864-Maintenance-schedules

Back