• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Wethead - any one installed aluminium cases

ianwalberg

Has anyone fitted aluminium cases to their wet head? I had vario's on my previous GS and while they were ok for what used them for I wish I had fitted aluminium ones.

I cannot see any BMW aluminium cases available but Touratech do.

Photos of anything you have fitted would be perfect.

Thanks

I am going with the TT. The panniers are available but the racks are coming in slow. I am on the waiting list. Probably at the end of the month.

Jamie

Metal Mules on my new 1200GS LC

Took TT Zegas down to Patagonia last year, never again. These things are sacrificial and get banged out of square quite easily. they leak and the mounting points ripped right out of the thin casing. I had Jesses for years and they are great.

However, I just installed Metal Mules non-sacrifial cases from the Uk on my bike tonight. They don't yet have brackets made up for them so I made my own to fit the bike. All you need is new hoops or otherwise find some used TT or BMW brackets cheap, doesn't matter what model they are for as you are going to cut off all mounting points anyway.

These panniers are very pricey, but they are by far the very best money can buy. Likely the best available anywhere for any price. Go to their site to find out more and they also have a YouTube out there showing backhoe trying to crush on of the boxes. I got mine from a chap in Switzerland but they are just starting to come to this side of the pond. if you want pictures of how I mounted them send me a PM.

Bill Hooykaas, Candidate for BOD, vote if you haven't yet!

Holan Nomada... Haven't installed them, yet, because BMW hasn't delivered my bike, yet! I did unbox them this morning.

Left side
p-131371106-3449.jpg

Muffler side
p-131371115-3453.jpg

Jesse's:)

I have the rounded corner ones, I think they are Safari's. Anyhow, his best available in $$$. I have fallen dozens of times on these, mostly slow getoffs and yet to have them twist or take another shape!. I think the squared off ones DO get this way easier. The round corners seem much stronger and take the abuse of a fallen bike on'em. Just a theory, but my GSA1200 has seen its fair share of lying down with these bags. NO Damage. Scratches only. The quick click, banjo looking mount is equally well built. Nothing else like it I have seen. I have 5 sets of Jesse bags in the family this day, lots of time in with these. All said, ANY aluminum bag is going to get funky with right fall! I have seen many riders twist, bend their bags back into shape and even find welders of aluminum rebuild the bags. One of my family for one, came off at 55mph on pavement, Jesse's scraped right thru the aluminum and made big hole(right front corner). Rider walked away, wearing full gear, no injuries. The bags got the welder/rebuild treatment, still used today, no issues:). One of our bikes has Happy Trails Bags on it, very NICE looking bags. They took their first fall on'em the other day on dirt trail of intermediate skills. The bags mounting points bent slightly, fixed on spot in a minute only. These as many others(brands) may consider this, WILL get reinforcement around these lesser strong points. Single wall aluminum is NOT going to make it in a fall(around the mounting areas), so go in there look at yours and beef it up at least:). Sheet aluminum is EASY to buy and a task not so difficult to get r done. The better, pricier bags are usually already beefed up at these points. Many adventure riders go softies these days for mostly ease of all the above mentioned, NO hard bags to worry. I AM one adventurer still prefers my hard luggage and so be it:). Both are swell. Pro's and Con's. Read up, some of the soft luggage today has come light years in ability, very well made too. It takes much abuse also and duck tape fixes holes in an emergency:). Heck, duck tape fixes the aluminum too in an emergency, LOL. Randy

Hey Marchyman, not to deflate your anticipation:banghead, but the little view of the mounting brackets I can see does not appear to be for the new 1200. Where the top points are, there are no places angled like these. Here is a set of hoops that I modified to fit the existing mounting points on my 1200 GS LC yesterday. Could you post some pics of the brackets they sent you and I can confirm for you. However, if you hit ADVRider, GSPOT here, you will find pictures and step by step instructions on how to modify the hoops Holan sent you to fit the new bike. The hoops are the crucial part, the rest is modifiable. Here is the link: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888123

Bill Hooykaas

Hey Marchyman, not to deflate your anticipation:banghead, but the little view of the mounting brackets I can see does not appear to be for the new 1200. Where the top points are, there are no places angled like these. Here is a set of hoops that I modified to fit the existing mounting points on my 1200 GS LC yesterday. Could you post some pics of the brackets they sent you and I can confirm for you. However, if you hit ADVRider, GSPOT here, you will find pictures and step by step instructions on how to modify the hoops Holan sent you to fit the new bike. The hoops are the crucial part, the rest is modifiable. Here is the link: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888123

Bill Hooykaas

Pictures of the brackets are on the link I provided. Here's the link without descriptive text: http://www.snafu.org/pics/r1200gsw/2013/0517-panniers/

The brackets are obviously for a bike with a right hand exhaust. The pictures in the instructions from Holan (once I zoomed in a bit) seem to match the brackets I have. :dunno Guess I'll find out whenever BMW gets around to delivering my bike.

After a better eye on the mounts, I think you are OK Marchyman, the brackets look really nice. They are fixing both sides to the foot peg brackets, a good solid point. Enjoy.

Jesse panniers

I was able to use the Jesse bags from my Triumph Explorer (sold) on my LC GS. All I needed to buy was the LC GS mounting racks.

I've had Jesse bags on my 08 and 10 GSs and really like both their quality and durability.

Back