• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Brick French connection?

roncooper

I read somewhere that Renault had a hand in designing the K75/K100 and I just saw a video of an engine oil change on a Citroen. The oil filter is in the sump. Do we have French DNA in our bikes?

Peugeot - not Renault

I have read that Josef Fritzenwenger's K bike development team built a prototype K bike in 1977 with an engine from a Peugeot 104. The engine had 954 cc, producing 45 hp @6000 rpm and 64 Nm torque at 3000 rpm. At the time the Peugeot engine was a pretty modern design and had many features the BMW engineers were looking for: Light alloy crank case and water cooled block and cylinder head, belt driven overhead cam - and most important, it was also mounted almost flat on its side. It appears that prototype tests produced very good results that convinced the engineers to pursue this engine & drive train concept. I am not sure how much of the Peugeot engine design was ultimately adopted for the K-series engine. I do not believe the K engine is a copy or slightly modified version of the Peugot 104 engine.

I read somewhere that Renault had a hand in designing the K75/K100 and I just saw a video of an engine oil change on a Citroen. The oil filter is in the sump. Do we have French DNA in our bikes?

Good french bread is baked in a brick oven

I also have heard that Peugeot had their fingers in the engine design. However, it was good old German engineering that put the engine on it's side according the flyingbrick.de website.

Brianplug has it right. BMW engineers used a Peugeot engine as inspiration early in the development process. I've read nothing that suggests Peugeot had any active hand in the K bikes development.

Back