• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R90/6 '76 removing steering damper

plehman

The steering damper never worked on my /6. Well, not in the 6 years I've had it. Thinking of removing it after seeing a nice cafe version.

Any issues there? It looks like it should come out pretty easily.
My bike in front. The bike without in the back. Just another day at Duncan's Beemers in Maynard Mass.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 113
My manual referred to "removal of wire retainers". There were none. A bit of leverage with a screwdriver popped it off. Mine is an R75/6 but the same year.

Attachments

• 2013-03-02 14.51.47.jpg
    2013-03-02 14.51.47.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 105
Fwiw mine had wire retainers but removing them didn't "release" it, still had to "pop" it off - ymmv

Yes, it comes out the bottom after you remove the 2 small Allen screws that hold the steering dampener adusting mechanism. The rectangular box has a slide adjuster with a gear drive.

Very easy to do

As mine was doing nothing, I removed mine. Took off bolts and it just came off.

ps. Where in Arlington are you? I'm just over the line in Somerville and work at Quad Cycles on Mass. Ave. in Arlington.

A cafe BAGGER!!! I like the way the angle on the back of the bags kind of reflects the angle on the back of the seat.

Yes, dropped right out. Was surprised that the 37 yr old damper actually had a little life in it. I'll ride tomorrow to see if you really don't need it.

Anyone have an opinion damper vs no damper?

Anyone have an opinion damper vs no damper?

A well set up bike, proper condition tires, etc., shouldn't need a damper. If you're running over cobblestones, rutted road, or pulling a sidecar, you could use a damper.

Damper set to "2" is good on gravel roads or on icy roads, and also keeps front end from wandering on rain grooves.

Back