• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

No start

miairhead

I happen last Sunday when I was going to a 'Blessing'. I stopped at a friends house, we went to a parking lot to help a buddy practice riding through cones (he got a Gwing and has not been on a bike in a few years).
When I went to start my CLC, nothing: after a few tries it started.
After Blessing, it started as normal. next day start as normal.
On to next day, day it started fine, but when I went to a store, NOTHING. So after a 2 hour wait I had it taken up to the Dealer. I checked what I could on the road, acts as no fuel. I sure this bike is possessed, since I got it (wonder what will be next or yes a trade for a Honda).

need more info

failing to start is not much of a symptom to go off of, and "as no fuel" is not much better.
what happens with electrics when bike won't start? dash lights? other indicator lights? fuel pump firing?, tach bounce? sidestand up or down? behavior in neutral vs in gear? are TBs spraying? does "nothing" mean it turns over and won't fire, or that absolutely nothing happens when you hit the starter button?

You need to do some deeper diagnostics, along with some reading on other bikes presenting similar problems under similar conditions. the devil is in the details... and so far, you've given us none/little to work with.

I haven't broken out the schematics but here are a couple thoughts.

Does the fuel pump come on for two seconds when you switch the key on? Assuming it does,

When you stop each time you put the sidestand down. So maybe that switch is bad. When your problem occurs, you could try moving the sidestand up and down a few times, or jumper the contacts of the Motronic relay (you need to make and carry a jumper).

My best guess is a Motronic relay or sidestand switch problem.

BF is right. With so little info it's hard to guess. I'll go with hall sensor based on the "acts as no fuel" comment. When a hall sensor starts to fail on the road that's exactly how it feels.

Gee, it could be:
bad starter
bad solenoid
bad relay (pick one)
bad sidestand switch
bad clutch switch
broken/cracked wires at ignition switch
bad HES
bad HES wiring
bad fuel pump
clogged fuel filter
bad spark plugs or HT leads
bad connection to any of the above
bad fuel lines
intermittent connection in any of the above mentioned systems
accumulation of much in any of the above mentioned systems (most likely in starter)
bad battery/battery connection
bad FI injector(s)
bad gas
bad juju
or, the ever popular- all the above.

now, many of these are really not likely to be in play. i'm just trying to point out the futility of any of us diagnosing this problem until we have more information to work with. we can help, but the OP needs to do his due diligence as well, and so far.. bupkis.

What I hear

I hear the fuel pump, when I open the quick connection, there is a small release of gas as if pressured. I see no difference on dash. Battery, turns over on and off for about 5 minutes. I did not check spark to see if it was getting any. It acts like fuel issue, but that is a guess. Am on going for fix it at 3 pm on the side of a road: no I can make it to the dealer by closing. Being miles from home, I just called for a tow, and since it free for 35 miles it goes to dealer in that window. Oil, plug, battery, that is about all I'll do on a 2004.

If I want to work on a bike, I'll do something the my 84 RT.

Back