• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

R1150rt high beam socket

buckeyebill

I managed to damage the high beam socket on my 2004 r1150 rt while changing a perfectly good bulb . The dealer does not even see the socket on the fiche . I might be able to kluge this back together but I'd rather find a bike being parted out and fix it right . It was suggested that I need to buy the whole headlight assembly. ouch ....any suggestions?

Your post is unclear as to what you mean by "socket."

For sure the plastic block around the electrical connectors on the wiring harness are NOT part of a new headlight assembly and this is what I'd assume from the word "socket."

But, it is true there are no spare parts available for the headlight unit.

Re-psycle bmw parts, is in Lithopolis, Ohio it's by Columbus, Oh. I got a head light part for my RT their once, worth checking. # is 614-837-1160.

I managed to damage the high beam socket on my 2004 r1150 rt while changing a perfectly good bulb . The dealer does not even see the socket on the fiche . I might be able to kluge this back together but I'd rather find a bike being parted out and fix it right . It was suggested that I need to buy the whole headlight assembly. ouch ....any suggestions?

Yes, by socket I assume the plastic piece you're installing the replacement bulb into. I had this happen with my R1100R as the socket basically disintegrated when changing a bulb. I think your bike uses an H7 where the 1100 uses an H4. Was an easy fix on the 11 and probably will be on yours as well. The problem on the 1100 is the fact the socket is not sold separately as it's part of the main wire harness I think it was. I purchased an H4 socket at auto parts and then cut the original out of the bikes harness. I soldered up the new socket and heat shrinked and that resolved the problem. I think the socket cost maybe $6 or something like that.

Re-psycle bmw parts, is in Lithopolis, Ohio it's by Columbus, Oh. I got a head light part for my RT their once, worth checking. # is 614-837-1160.

I am not positive but I think the problem is the fact that the headlamp socket is actually part of the main harness. Somebody at BMW wasn't thinking when they designed that. The cure? Go to an auto parts store and buy the appropriately sized socket, I think an H7 on the 1150 and cut the original socket out of the harness by snipping the wires leading to the socket. Then solder up the replacement socket/sub-harness to the original wires and heat shrink. Works like a charm.

Try looking in the MaxBMW parts fiche under a 2004 K1200LT. For some reason that model has some bulb socket parts that are the same as the RT listed with individual part numbers, whereas they are not listed under a 2004 R1150RT in the parts fiche.

2004 1150RT High beam socket Victory

:wave
Try looking in the MaxBMW parts fiche under a 2004 K1200LT. For some reason that model has some bulb socket parts that are the same as the RT listed with individual part numbers, whereas they are not listed under a 2004 R1150RT in the parts fiche.

Thats the part ken .....thanks for the input . I was anticipating a tough slog and you just saved me a great deal of pain . thanks again

The immediate problem seems to be solved (I think) but I want to add a comment. If by "socket" the OP means the recess into which the bulb is inserted and clipped, that would be integral to the headlight reflector. If by "socket" the OP means the electrical connector which slides onto the spades on the back of the bulb, that is a commonly available H7 connector. The last time I needed one I got it at Auto Zone. For folks with bikes with H4 bulbs the same is true. NAPA sells a good high temperature one for folks who use higher wattage bulbs. For the H4: NAPA #LS-6235

For example, here is a link to a 90 degree H7 connector on Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Headlight-Harness-Connector-Bulb/dp/B0040CVQ2K

Some BMW electrical connections are odd and hard to source. Headlight bulb connectors are not among them.

Back