• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Where to get an r80g/s seat

adamppaul

Hey Folks,
Apparently it is not cool to directly ask to buy a solo seat for my r80G/S here in the forums. However according to the mod, it is OK to ask if anyone knows of any for sale, knows of anyone who has one kicking around in the back trash bin all rusted and cracked, or even good commercial sellers that are not asking a premium.
I'm asking because I would like to get one and although I have had ads up in many places for a while, folks recently have listed and sold them at reasonable prices before I had a chance to get in touch.
Also buying off of classifieds is hard because there is at least one guy who I will not mention who builds these bikes up for resale who will search and buy every PD seat and tank he can find. I've offered to buy a seat off of him, but he wants to keep them for "future builds"

I would also post in the FM...but unfortunately I see no way of adding my wanted ad.

So if you know of any please drop me a PM.

I would also post in the FM...but unfortunately I see no way of adding my wanted ad.

Not sure what the trouble is with the FM. I've posted several ads as test cases. It works fine. Many ads are being put up every day. As long as the required fields are filled out, the Flea Market works.

Have you tried some of the used part places? Check the Resources and Links thread in my sig line for the Used Parts section.

You didn't mention what year your GS is. There is an '81-'86 recovered GS seat on eBay this morning.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-R80g-s-...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item3f1604e6aa

Buy It Now : $333.00 (a "reasonable price" I couldn't say.)

$(KGrHqZ,!l4E87ryWCSdBPgJwpBv6g~~60_12.JPG
$(KGrHqF,!q0E88giGVyuBPgJw)WL1!~~60_12.JPG

Solo seat, and in the FM all I see is a way of looking at my ads.....but no way to post

Note that you have to login to post in the FM. It's separate from the forum, just as the MOA homepage is separate from here as well. Currently there is a problem with the logins on the homepage and the FM. It's necessary to relogin everytime you visit. The office is working to get that cleared up.

Note that you have to login to post in the FM. It's separate from the forum, just as the MOA homepage is separate from here as well. Currently there is a problem with the logins on the homepage and the FM. It's necessary to relogin everytime you visit. The office is working to get that cleared up.

I did login but still see no way of actually posting. All I can think of is two reasons...I not a current paid MOA member, or the option is selected by a drop down menu that I cannot access on an Ipad.

It's too bad too because I still have some parts left from a r100 GS when I put them on my G/S that I would like to list as well

Do you see a screen like this, but it says "Welcome Adam Paul"?

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...Ad-on-Flea-Mkt&p=873527&viewfull=1#post873527

You are a current active user and I see nothing on your profile that would limit your member access. Any chance you could get to another computer and see if the problem is the iPad? Still, I wouldn't think that's the problem. I see a fully active FM on my Android phone.

Negative on that, I have nothing beyond view active listings showing.

Be advised that some of the hardware necessary for mounting the solo seat is no longer available from BMW. The right angle pieces that secure the rear rack to the rear subframe.

No.....I see everything you do when logged in....except the posting ads part. I see the ability to view active and past ads...just not post new ones. Those options are missing from my FM screen.

See:

Thanks for the screen shot...let me think about that. As I said, if you can try to get to the FM on a "regular" computer, I'd like to know what you see.

Thanks...

Be advised that some of the hardware necessary for mounting the solo seat is no longer available from BMW. The right angle pieces that secure the rear rack to the rear subframe.

Those I can make or buy aftermarket...I just need the seat/rack and hate the idea of spending $450 for something I've seen sold for $150-$200.

Those I can make or buy aftermarket...I just need the seat/rack and hate the idea of spending $450 for something I've seen sold for $150-$200.

I hate the idea too. But I wanted one bad enough that after a year or so of searching I broke down and ordered one from the Netherlands. http://www.bmwboxersupplies.com/seats-c-15.html

After talking to him I decided to splurge and buy the more expensive and higher quality seat along with a rack and mounting hardware. Might not be available from BMW but you can get it here. Guess what? I hated it. It is a very stiff seat and wide enough to cut off the circulation in my legs. The look of these seats are very attractive but comfort wise? Terrible. The dual seat is actually much more comfortable. In the end I made a custom seat for my G/S. One of these days when if I find the money I might take the solo seat to Rich's saddles or someplace that knows how to shape foam with a human in mind and see what they can do. In the meantime by buddies call this thing my sofa. :D

Attachments

• cropped GS seat.jpg
    cropped GS seat.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 40
I ran an adapted H-D police saddle on a /6 side car rig for awhile; this saddle looks a lot like it. As you observed, it was okay for awhile, riding locally. But on the first long trip I soon realized it wasn't comfortable at all. I think the reason is that it pretty much nails your butt into one place and your legs have no where to "roam". With bench-type saddles you can slide forward and aft to change your leg position. It's surprising how fatiguing it can be to not move your legs.

I got the idea from a photo I saw of Dr. Greg Frasier's round the world G/S. I emailed him about it and he told me it was adapted from a JC Whitney generic saddle if memory serves. So I thought if this type of police style saddle was comfortable enough for that kind of mileage it was worth a try. Adapting it to the bike took quite a bit of doing though. Time will tell. No real long hauls on it yet.

The only reason I want it is because I have a 25 lb cairn terrier in a motorcycle carrier. With the bench seat I cannot get it tight enough to be comfortable with the security. I really would like the rack so I at least have something to tie onto.

Also I know what you mean about comfort. I had an GS1100 with a Corbin and that was actually quite comfortable. When I converted the g/s to a lot of the 100gs stuff I had a subframe and Corbin single seat with the rack. That Corbin was too wide and uncomfortable. I hate seats that spread your legs when you stand to hold the bike up. On My KLR......well that is uncomfortable so learned to get used to it...it is the bar I set all comfort next to. :)

Adam -

Just to close the loop on the FM...I was able to borrow someone's iPad and login to the FM...I was able to clearly see links to add new listings. I'll have to take this up with the office. Since the FM is not a feature of the forum but rather a standalone package, someone else is in control of the settings.

Adam -

Just to close the loop on the FM...I was able to borrow someone's iPad and login to the FM...I was able to clearly see links to add new listings. I'll have to take this up with the office. Since the FM is not a feature of the forum but rather a standalone package, someone else is in control of the settings.

Thanks Kurt, still thinking it may be something to do with the fact I have not been active moa member in the past couple years.

Best
Adam

Back