• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Sarnia, ON to Bangor, ME,...north or south side of Lake Ontario??

rx35285

What are the pros and cons of going around the north side of Lake Ontario compared to the south side as I make my way to Bangor, ME?

I have taken the southern route a couple of times when headed to southern NH. Getting through Buffalo was not fun.

I once took the northern route, getting as far north as Bracebridge, but I don't have time to go that far up on this trip. Is there a good route that runs roughly parallel to 401?

Wasn't sure whether to post here or in the respective regional forums, so I apologize if I am out of bounds.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Dave

One Option

How about this alternate route? Not the shortest, fastest or least expensive but looks rather interesting. Fast Ferry (CAT) out of Milwaukee ($82.50 for you and $40 for bike), staying north of Detroit and attach to the 401 in Sarnia, Ontario. Off ramp in Cornwall and meander over to Thousand Islands into Burlington and then meander over to #2 to Bangor. Only did this route out of Manitowoc, Wi but not really much different. Not much in the way of options to the 401 but looks better than some southern options. Getting off in Cornwall and working yourself east is clearly much more interesting. - Bob

I've traveled the 401 and never again! Especially thru Toronto. Till then I'd thought Boston had the trophy for the most aggressive drivers. Toronto beat them hands down!

As an alternative how about angling up to Huntsville and crossing thru the Algonquin Provincial Parc? Much less hectic and the scenery isn't bad.

Pete

You can ride north through Wisconsin and Upper Michigan to cross into Canada at Sault Ste. Marie. From there follow the Trans-Canada east through Sudbury and North Bay to Ottawa. From Ottawa you could ride side roads to Cornwall and cross to US there.

I've traveled the 401 and never again! Especially thru Toronto. Till then I'd thought Boston had the trophy for the most aggressive drivers. Toronto beat them hands down!

As an alternative how about angling up to Huntsville and crossing thru the Algonquin Provincial Parc? Much less hectic and the scenery isn't bad.

Pete

When in the Toronto area, you should be taking our extremely expensive toll road, the 407. Expensive but much quicker and much, much safer with very little traffic. I never take the 401 through Toronto except early on a Sunday morning.

Once you are past Toronto, hook up with Hwy 2 which runs between the 401 and Lake Ontario.

If you enter Canada through Sarnia, you will be taking the 402 to London where it connects to the 401. Take the 401 to the 407 and from there, look for Hwy 2.

Glenfiddich has a good alternative for you.

You can ride north through Wisconsin and Upper Michigan to cross into Canada at Sault Ste. Marie. From there follow the Trans-Canada east through Sudbury and North Bay to Ottawa. From Ottawa you could ride side roads to Cornwall and cross to US there.

Walter K75 also has good route for you to ride. If you have the time, take Walter's ride. If time is tight, ride Glen's route.

Be certain to bring a passport; not so much for the Canadians, but for the U.S. custom officials when you return into the U.S. It could be very difficult getting home without your American passport.

One last suggestion, do not ride a bike through Toronto. I hear a lot about LA traffic but it was a breeze for me compared to Toronto traffic.

Have a good ride.

Starting in Cedar Falls, Iowa? My Streets & Trips routes you south of Lake Erie. Get on I-86 just after you get to NY state. The state and the Indians aren't getting along around Salamanca, so the road is terrible for a stretch, but take I-86, then I-88 to the Albany, NY area, get on SR 2 at Troy, NY, and follow SR 2 across Massachusetts. SR 2 sports some nice riding across the Berkshires, including some nice twisties. Follow SR 2 across Massachusetts, angle up with I-495 to miss Boston, and I-95 to Bangor where you get off on US Alt 1 and SR 3 to Bar Harbor. That's how I do it from western NY. I live near I-86.

I avoid big cities whenever possible, especially Toronto. Montreal is crazy, too.

take care,

Harry

Back