Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: K1600GT Service questions

Registered User bluegrasspicker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EMSimon View Post
    Elaborate, please. Supposedly the oil change is not as "easy" as on any other bike, e.g.: drain and refill. Is there a specific procedure that involves restarting the engine in the middle of the oil change to ensure proper filling of both oil reservoirs?
    Only thing is there is 2 drain bolts one up inside the other. Not hard, just different.
    As easy as the RT was...
    Tom Barrie
    http://bluegrasspicker.blogspot.com/
    2012 K1600GTL
    2002 R1150RT (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by St0mP121 View Post
    Sorry to say but i can't pull the trigger on one as of yet. Took one out for test ride Saturday. I fell in love with it. But in search for the tools/diag equ. etc. and reading on so many people seem to miss the bike once it leaves their position, My R1100RT I have. When it is replaced even by another bmw. So i'm no longer willing to trade mine in. Maybe down the road ill get one and keep my RT as well. Starting to see how BMW motorcycles multiply and good to know on that oil change as well i could see little differences like that really screwing me over. makes me kinda want to get a older K bike first.
    Hmmmmm: I am a wee bit confused. You took a K1600 out for a ride and loved it yet you don't want to buy one because you can't come up with tools, or equipment for it? For the most part all of the basic maintenance procedures are on line and quite easy to understand. Even getting to the air filter is easy day compared to other Beemers I have owned. Engine oil changes are very easy once you understand the upper and lower pans. Pull the lower plug and let the oil drain. When the oil is done coming out reach up into the lower pan with the proper tool and pull out the upper drain plug. Very easy albeit messy at first until you get the hang of it. FD is super simple too. Trans oil is engine oil, how easy is that. Barring any unforeseen event or an actual valve adjustment basic maintenance is a piece of cake on this bike. Now my 1200LT....that was not an easy bike to work on, but a whole different animal.
    Rick

No longer a member here
    I am looking forward to what the major reason for complaints about the K16 will be, down the road, once all the shade-tree mechanics had a chance to screw theirs up. For the Oilheads it was "Surging"......

I am looking forward to what the major reason for complaints about the K16 will be, down the road, once all the shade-tree mechanics had a chance to screw theirs up. For the Oilheads it was "Surging"......
    Well if current practice is any indicator, it will be water pumps and switches. And perhaps replacing the front shock to eliminate a very annoying squeak. I don't have a crystal ball but my guess after owning two GTL's is that this bike will be pretty solid down the road save for what I have already mentioned. Beemer really needs to get a good electronics manufacturer for their switches. And I would love to see an after market company make a replacement non-slipper clutch.

Rick

Are you serious? You are thinking of buying one of the best and most advanced sport-touring bikes on the market, shell out north of $25,000.- and you want to save on service by doing it yourself???
    I own 3 Honda CBXes (late 1979, early 80s six-cylinder) and one of the most common complaint I hear in the community is, that Honda dealers do not want to work on it anymore.
    Sometimes, I have a hard time understanding my fellow BMW owners.....
    Odd comment, I've done ALL my own maintenance on all my bikes, cars, etc for a long time, if you got the skills and tools it dosen't matter what you paid for the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by motorcop@wi.rr.com View Post
    Well if current practice is any indicator, it will be water pumps and switches. And perhaps replacing the front shock to eliminate a very annoying squeak. I don't have a crystal ball but my guess after owning two GTL's is that this bike will be pretty solid down the road save for what I have already mentioned. Beemer really needs to get a good electronics manufacturer for their switches. And I would love to see an after market company make a replacement non-slipper clutch.

Rick
    Which has nothing to do with shade tree mechanics screwing up anything.
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

No longer a member here
    Quote Originally Posted by svk1200s View Post
    Odd comment, I've done ALL my own maintenance on all my bikes, cars, etc for a long time, if you got the skills and tools it dosen't matter what you paid for the machine.
    So, let's see: You have the skills: Are you a trained motrcycle mechanic and attended all the service schools the manufacturer put up for the vehicles you owned?
    You have the tools: Do you own a shop with all the proper diagnostic equipment to troubleshoot a modern electronically controlled vehicle? Do you own all the special tools required today for all possible different fasteners?
    Do you have all specific service manuals, giving you all the torques, data and other specs for proper maintenance?

I have a masters in mechanical engineering. I raced bikes when I was younger. I still work on most of my classic bikes. There is a certain level of technology that became state fo the art at a certain time and I believe that maintenance of that should not be tackled at home in a garage. The K1600 is shock full of that stuff.

So, let's see: You have the skills: Are you a trained motrcycle mechanic and attended all the service schools the manufacturer put up for the vehicles you owned?
    You have the tools: Do you own a shop with all the proper diagnostic equipment to troubleshoot a modern electronically controlled vehicle? Do you own all the special tools required today for all possible different fasteners?
    Do you have all specific service manuals, giving you all the torques, data and other specs for proper maintenance?

I have a masters in mechanical engineering. I raced bikes when I was younger. I still work on most of my classic bikes. There is a certain level of technology that became state fo the art at a certain time and I believe that maintenance of that should not be tackled at home in a garage. The K1600 is shock full of that stuff.
    And that's why I would never buy one. I'd have to get a second job just to pay for maintenance.
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

tools

The included tools are a screwdriver and one torx wrench. That should be a clue to not touch.

I think the flaw in your logic is that the factory trained tech is always the guy doing all the work on your bike for the minor services (oil, filter and checks). . . .

I'm sorry but the minor service on these bikes is not complex, requires no special tools other than a torque wrench, and yes, I have the factory service manual which is pretty damn complete for all of the service procedures.

I've had too much shoddy work done at a variety of dealerships to think that I'm putting my bike in good hands EVERY time I drop it off.

Just my .02 and probably not worth that.

No longer a member here
    Well, you are retreating. ALL of the service work is different to MINOR service work, as far as I am concerned.

Hello all,

I have a few bmw bikes and do much of the servicing. But on my k16gt I can only do so much, I do fluid change, lub, brakes and farkling. The rest will be done at the stealer, for now. I'll see how it goes after the warranty. This bike is like a car and the things we can do are limited.

Yes the k16gt/gtl cost quite a bit to buy and service. But it gives a hell of a ride...

I just got my hand on a nice 1997r1100gs, and I think I'll have as much pleasure in working on it as riding it .