• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Anyone using BMW aux led brake lights?

Not on a GS, but K1300S.
Dealer installed them on our bikes at purchase and they work great.

IMG_0080.jpg

IMG_0112.jpg

I had one on my R12C Montauk. Cars seemed to stay further back. Intend on putting one on my new RT.

Didn't use the BMW aux light, went with skene design P3 lights
So far I've done about a dozen installs for friends, who couldn't or wouldn't ride without them
Great light

I like them and have one on 2/3 of my bikes but some prior information could be helpful.

The BMW light is on whenever your taillight is on and when you activate brakes the light blinks brighter rapidly maybe only twice and then remains lit brighter, just like your brake light. It's pretty subtle, and almost a flicker, but I imagine it's effective.

As with everything else, factory styling is better than aftermarket styling and of course these are made to fit your bike so it's plug and play and there's no modification to existing wiring.

It looks like it's either the BMW or the Skene. Both have advantages.

I wish I could see them on a bike

Skene P3 an current RT and I'm put them on my last three bikes as well.
Ordering a set today for my son's new bike.

They keep drivers way back due to the flicker when close.
I like the adjustability of the brake flashes, I run with four quick then on solid.

Question and answer--- BMW LED AUX brake light

Will this model brake light Part Number ? 63000445578 come complete with wiring harness to fit 2012 BMW R1200GS

Good morning,

Unfortunately the current led light will not work on the 2012 models. BMW made a software change on the bike that wasn?t communicating with the led light. They are making a new one that will work. Hopefully it will be available this year.

Francis Jordan

MAX BMW Motorcycles

phpIF53Nc_1.jpg
This isn't my bike, but from Twisted Throttle add.
Everyone riding behind me says it's great.
Running light, stop light and turn signal.

Didn't use the BMW aux light, went with skene design P3 lights
So far I've done about a dozen installs for friends, who couldn't or wouldn't ride without them
Great light

Couldn't agree more. I like the constant flicker. Great Product!:thumb

It seems Skene has a lot of support here. I'll give their lights a try

Thanks for all the helpful information

Also as I posted earlier the BMW lights aren't compatible with the 2012 software

Sloride, you might also consider the Skene front LED's. I have both on my bike and believe they are a big plus in garnering the attention of motorists coming toward you as well as ones following you.

All kinds of theories on what works best - and, of course, NOTHING works infallibly. The other day I saw what resembled the light of a train approaching me! Only when it got really close did I realize it was a motorcycle with three headlights in triangular formation, apparently all on "bright." What I saw in broad daylight was ONE huge light with no clue this was a motorcycle. Probably not the effect the rider wanted.

i have the Skeen P3 on one bike, and the BMW aux light on another. The BMW light has always functioned flawlessly, the Skeen had one block of 4 LEDs go dead and has been problematic in that it periodically goes into constant flashing mode even without the brakes being applied. Skeen was of no help when I called them and I couldn't find paperwork on when the lights were purchased, which I found to be quite a bit different experience that what I had with HyperLites, who replaced without question a 2-yr-old unit that went dead.

So I'm done with Skeen and will likely be pulling it off and installing the BMW aux light in it's place.
YMMV, as always.

Best,

GTRider

UPDATE: After posting the above I was contacted directly by Jerry Skene. It turns out that we had a cross-up in our communication where we were both waiting to hear from the other, so nothing was happening. Jerry explained that they were temporarily out of the controllers but would be sending me a new set of lights and a new controller as soon as they were restocked. I received the lights this last weekend (5/31) and will be mounting the new replacements this weekend. So, I take back everything I said above and apologize for the unwarranted grousing-- you can't call it anything but top-notch service when a vendor tracks down a customer and stands solidly behind their product! BTW, the new lights are reported to be a bit brighter than the old, and the controller beefed up as well so I will report back on that after this weekend's farkeling. So, a big Thank You to Skene Design!
Now I'm thinking I need a set for my airhead....
:clap

Best,

GTRider

Last edited:
+1 for skene design P3 lights as well...

Great customer support...programmable...can re-program by using brake lever... several lighting options.
Turn signal and four way as well... also Volt meter signal as well.

i have the Skeen P3 on one bike, and the BMW aux light on another. The BMW light has always functioned flawlessly, the Skeen had one block of 4 LEDs go dead and has been problematic in that it periodically goes into constant flashing mode even without the brakes being applied. Skeen was of no help when I called them and I couldn't find paperwork on when the lights were purchased, which I found to be quite a bit different experience that what I had with HyperLites, who replaced without question a 2-yr-old unit that went dead.

So I'm done with Skeen and will likely be pulling it off and installing the BMW aux light in it's place.
YMMV, as always.

Best,

GTRider

UPDATE: After posting the above I was contacted directly by Jerry Skene. It turns out that we had a cross-up in our communication where we were both waiting to hear from the other, so nothing was happening. Jerry explained that they were temporarily out of the controllers but would be sending me a new set of lights and a new controller as soon as they were restocked. I received the lights this last weekend (5/31) and will be mounting the new replacements this weekend. So, I take back everything I said above and apologize for the unwarranted grousing-- you can't call it anything but top-notch service when a vendor tracks down a customer and stands solidly behind their product! BTW, the new lights are reported to be a bit brighter than the old, and the controller beefed up as well so I will report back on that after this weekend's farkeling. So, a big Thank You to Skene Design!
Now I'm thinking I need a set for my airhead....
:clap

Best,

GTRider

Should have posted the above as a reply, instead of an edit--so I'm just bumping it here!
:nod
GTRider

Back