• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1990 R 100 GSPD new battery suggestions

chasmrider

not lost til out of gas
morning all, I would like to up grade my electrical system, starting with my battery and cables. I am using this bike for backcountry adventure. I currently have an Exide 12 V 19 AH gel battery that I bought from the BMW dealer in june 2007. is gel the best way to go? thanks

Here we go again!!

I've bad about GEL and good.

Price is the issue for me because I believe that (within reason) the hugely expensive batteries only offer marginal, if any, benefit.

I also think the locations around - how many close if you have trouble?

Odyssey

I have an Odyssey gel in my R80RT (83). It works, but I have no opinion on durability yet. Happy to have potentially leaking fluids away from the bike, though.

I've been having great results with the Odyssey PC680 in most BMWs. I've probably sold 50 of them, easily, in the last few years with only one return which could have been customer-caused.

In my own R100GS, I'm actually using its smaller brother, the PC545.

I would like to up grade my electrical system, starting with my battery and cables.

I don't know what there is to upgrade with a battery, but you can certainly cut down on voltage drop losses by getting, or better yet, making up your own cables. Welding cable is ultra flexible due to the very high strand count and has a very low resistance. That mated with good connectors that are soldered at the ends is a good start.

Once you have that, the best start is by taking a simple voltage measurement across the battery with the engine running at various RPMs. You want to make sure your alternator and especially the voltage regulator is set to the battery type you are using.

I get 9 years out of a "seasonal" flooded lead acid battery that I didn't even stay on top of maintenance-wise and 16+ years out of my car batteries. So how exactly will I benefit from those other types?

Is gel the best way to go?

I chose not to go with a VRLA battery during my last purchase. Too many disadvantages to them.

And I certainly do not want a Li-Ion battery.

thanks for the info, I am leaning towards the Odessy PC 680, they stress the vibration resistance, which is important to me, they are made in the US, and I found a place in Grants Pass OR ( batterystuff.com ) with a good price. so I will have to ride down and see them.

Back