• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Mini Air Compressor

lgb

Greetings All!
Wondering if anyone has an opinion on a good Mini Air Compressor for road travel? I need one...
:wave

I have a CyclePump in my BMW kit that I got as a present. Very small, works great and is slick looking (all metal construction). I'm not sure if I would have bought it myself because it's pretty expensive, about $100.00.

I have a $20.00 Slime air pump from Autozone in the trunk of my Ural. Works just as well.
For filling up a motorcycle tire both are great. But they do get hot under extended use like a car or truck tire. Easy to burn-out if you don't let them rest.

mike wex
'96 r1100rt

I bought a cheap pump at Walmart, removed the plastic case, and added a BMW plug.

IMG_0093.jpg

I have this one from Adventure Designs. It's expensive for a mini pump, but I've had it for like 5 years now and use it to inflate my motorcycle and Toyota truck tires without a problem. Gets warm after the 4th truck tire but never overheated. Comes with the BMW plug and an adapter for regular cigarette lighters.

The really cheap Slime pump from Wal-Mart. I have been tempted to remove the plastic case, seems to waste a lot of space.
It works, but not very fast. It is obviously cheaply made and I expect it to fail at any moment - it never has.
I have used it several times on tour, including total flat repairs.
I carry a Stop-and-Go mushroom shooter and 6 CO2 cartridges just in case.

I have the same pump, and agree that it seems to waste space. The gears and such looked kind of vulnerable with the case removed. There is, however, some empty space inside. I stuffed some tire plugs, an extra valve core and a small tube of rubber cement inside and then closed the case with a few wraps of electrical tape instead of the screws to allow easier access. To discourage running the pump with the loose bits inside I used a Sharpie to put a reminder on the case.

It is obviously cheaply made and I expect it to fail at any moment - it never has.
I have used it several times on tour, including total flat repairs.

I've had mine for about 7 years using it to top off air on trips and fixing a few flats for others.
I hold it in my hand while pumping so the gears do not chew up the cord.
I give it a couple drops of oil each year. Don't ask what kind of oil is best :)

Be careful stuffing stuff inside the case of a cheap-o compressor. Those things get hot! Also be careful handling the case-removed thing after a couple of minutes of use. Again, very hot!

I got a similar little unit from Home Depot (I'll bet they are all made in the same factory in... you guessed it, China). Has a pressure gauge but it's frustrating to watch it creep v-e-r-y slowly up to 30 psi or so. Even slower above that. CO2 cartridges are fast, but expensive, you'll need a bunch, and you only get to use each one once.

pete

Slime inflator.

We have a couple of these: http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/Slime-40001-Air-Compressor/p7627.html
that I picked up on sale for 10 bucks at an auto parts store.

I use them all the time. Much more convenient for putting a couple lbs of air in your tires than a big compressor. Just hook it to a powerlet adapter, plug it in and you're set. Often gas station air compressors don't work or don't fit our wheels....so this allows us to inflate anywhere. I've used it on the side of an interstate as well, to get to the next ramp where the tire was flat again.

I'd say the regular price is OK, but if you can, wait for a sale.

Nancy

I have several. When we travel all summer on the bikes I carry a Cycle Pump. We have a couple of those because we don't always travel together. I have a few others that I haul where space isn't at a premium: an old Coleman, a cheap one from Alco that is now at least 15 years old, and another I forget where/why I got it. These are in the car, the truck, and the Jeep.

Any of these is sufficient to top off a tire or to air-up a plugged tire. The Cycle Pump(s) are the most durable with the best hose and connectors and will last the longest. But they are expensive. But when we travel I occasion mount new tires and the Cycle Pumps are durable enough to do that.

If I wanted one to just carry and top-off a few psi, or to air up after installing a plug I'd probably go to an auto parts store and get the smallest Slime brand pump.

Mini Compressor

What to you plan to do with it and how often do you think you'll use it?

Well, thanks for all the replies.
I just wanted to carry a portable one for repairs and occasional use, if needed.
I ended up with the compact Slime package. Looks to be an OK product for my needs.

I just wanted to carry a portable one for repairs and occasional use, if needed.

That is why I asked.

If I needed to blow up my tires daily or weekly while on the road, I too would probably buy an electrically driven tire pump.

But since I've only had one flat in my 40 years of riding, I use a Crank Brothers Power Pump. Its the size of a six-inch cigar tube that takes up no room, construction is first rate, and it being mechanical, chances of failure are almost zilch. Note the lifetime warranty.

Crank%20Brothers%20Power%20Puimp.jpg

If you take a look at bicycle assy. web sites they offer lots of inflation choices & one using CO2 cartridges has been given a big approval from a long time MC rider on one of the scooter forums I've been on lately. The one he likes has cartridges similar to the size of a butane cartridge but shorter. They are pricey& of course they don't logically solve the topping off of air pressure on long trips.
The Wally World pumps of recent years are not the "take off the case variety" but the Slime pumps as already mentioned-which come in several sizes. Mine has a box that's getting worn out from miles & not use,knock on wood. Meijer's has other choices & ebay has many if you want a "strip it" project.

I have this one from Adventure Designs. It's expensive for a mini pump, but I've had it for like 5 years now and use it to inflate my motorcycle and Toyota truck tires without a problem. Gets warm after the 4th truck tire but never overheated. Comes with the BMW plug and an adapter for regular cigarette lighters.

I suspect you don't use the BMW plug in the factory receptacle that is connected to the CANBUS, or do you? From what I have seen all of these devices exceed the 5A trigger, disabling the port and generating a fault code.

I have been looking for a compatible inflator but I will likely settle for one with clips for the battery.

I just rewired the end of my pump with the same fitting used for the trickle charger. I just plug it in and it works off the battery. no need for clips

I suspect you don't use the BMW plug in the factory receptacle that is connected to the CANBUS, or do you? From what I have seen all of these devices exceed the 5A trigger, disabling the port and generating a fault code.

I have been looking for a compatible inflator but I will likely settle for one with clips for the battery.

I run the pump off the factory 12V plug on my RT and have never had a CANBUS "blown fuse" issue :)

Back