• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2004 k1200gt info?

scoobs

I'm looking at a used '04 K1200GT with 11,000 miles on it and was wondering how they are for fuel economy? The asking price is around $9,000 - is that reasonable? It looks in great condition but I haven't viewed it up close as it's in a different State.
Any pros/cons I should be aware of?
Cheers,
Ian.

My wife and I both had a 2003 K1200RS which has the same engine and we got around 45 MPG on the average. Out west when running 85 to 90 they could still get 40 MPG.
$9,000 is high.

Well, according to Kelly Blue Book, at least, that is wildly overpriced, unless it comes with accessories worth several thousand dollars to you.

They say the suggested retail value (i.e. in excellent condition, from a dealer) is $7345, with a suggested trade-in value of $5150.

If you guesstimate a private-party value about midway between those you get $6250. So any gap between that and your sale price ought to reflect your assessment of the value of its relatively low miles, and any modifications/accessories. (And, of course, the value of some modifications could well be negative.)

http://www.kbb.com/motorcycles/bmw/k1200gt-abs/2004-bmw-k1200gt-abs/suggestedretailvalue/

NADA is slightly more generous, suggesting an "average retail" of $8170, excluding any options or adjustment for mileage. This is, again, a dealer retail price estimate.

http://www.nadaguides.org/Motorcycles/2004/BMW/K1200GT+-1171cc/Values

There is a principle in economics called the "endowment effect," which holds that people who own something (i.e. sellers) are likely to significantly overestimate the value of their property vs. people who don't own it (i.e. buyers). It is generally extremely visible in used-vehicle listings.

04 K12GT fuel miles

I have an 04 K12GT and I use it mainly on 200 mile trips ( Sunday Breakfast rides). I get right around 44.5 on average. I put 202 miles on a tank one day, inadvertently, and I was sweating. To my surprise it took 4.5 gallons. The owners manual says it has a 5.5 gallon capacity but I was hovering around Empty for over 30 miles.
That price seems high even for that low milage. Closer to $7200 would be my guess at the top. I paid less than $7000 for mine a year and a half ago and it had 10700 miles on it. I had to drive it back to Florida from Ohio but that was okay with me.

I ride an 03 K1200Rs, which is the GT with some cosmetic changes. Unlike the above posts I have never gotten 40 MPG or above. I average 38, as do some of the others I've talked to. Not saying those guys above don't get what they say, just telling you what I know. I don't ride hard, but I do run at (an indicated) 80+ on the highway, partially due to the smoothness which masks the speed. Maybe yours will do 45 MPG, but maybe not. And the limited tank capacity will crimp your range. I rarely get 200 miles on a tank.
And ditto on the pricing issue. Your miles are low, but that bike should be around $7500 unless it was previously ridden by Angelina Jolie. Naked.

I own a 2003 K1200GT
Bought it used last October.
As with my prior K1200GT, an '04, I get low to low mid 40s during mostly conservative, mostly freeway riding 65-75ish mph.

Squeezed 43.9 out of the last tank full. Pretty constrained use of the right wrist to get that figure, minimal stop and go....
I'd guess that a 200 mile slab stretch at 65-70 could get 'round 45 MPG.
Haven't done that with the '03 yet.
I chose to not ride it much around the city...too heavy, ponderous steering. Only when I can do some miles at steady, higher speeds do I really enjoy it.

Owned a couple R1200RTs, they would get 2-3mpg better in same usage.

d'milan

OP
I should add that as of yesterday, on IBMW Marketplace there is listed for sale a 2003 or 4 K1200GT with 220 original miles for $7,500.

Orient Blue...

Investigate more if interested.

d'milan

04 K1200 Gt purchase

I see motorcycle prices vary as owners of bikes see it as more personal than a car purchase,it`s my baby for lack of a better term! i notice that some owners are looking to get top $ for 03-04 K1200gt the difference from the RS is color matching cases,heated seat,fins added to fairing near the mirrors. I`ve owned an 02 RS and have a 04 Gt Piedmont Red currently which I consider to be a classically beautiful bike and I get comments all the time from all kinds of people that it is a great looking bike! I think you`ll find one at a reasonable price probably $6500-8000 for moderate miles 15-30k and v.g. cond and lower $ for higher miles and good cond most BMW`s are high mileage bikes over 100k if maintained, good luck and good riding.

v2004 k1200gt info?

OP
I should add that as of yesterday, on IBMW Marketplace there is listed for sale a 2003 or 4 K1200GT with 220 original miles for $7,500.

Orient Blue...

Investigate more if interested.

d'milan
I`d buy a high mileage bike before a super low mileage reason being it has been sitting and hasn`t been rode possible carbon issue`s and seals being brittle have a good shop check it out !

Fuel mileage is a very personal thing and can vary widely. For one thing, people notoriously lie about the numbers. Either knowingly or because of lack of good records.
In addition, there is a huge variation in motorcycles, even with the same engine due to different tires, different projected frontal area - which includes the rider - and the individual control of the throttle.
As a very personal comment, I have NEVER worried, or even asked, about fuel mileage when I bought a bike. Right now, I have no idea what the fuel mileage on any of my bikes is. I know how far I can go, approximately, before I have to stop to refuel. But that's all. Making fuel mileage an issue for a motorcycle is like worrying about the cost of ammunition when you are into hunting.

I believe Kelley Blue Book tends to underestimate the value of older bikes. I sold a 1993 GSPD this week for $7500. I was offered $8000 for it last year but was not ready to sell. KBB says the top price is $6300 and my bike while low mileage, was no show bike.

See what others are asking for similar bikes. Use SearchTempest (http://www.searchtempest.com/). It will do a national search of Craigslist, eBay, Amazon and more.

Here are some:

2004, 7539 miles, Teal, Denver, $7795 (http://denver.craigslist.org/mcd/4299729917.html)

2004, 47K miles, Oriental Blue, Watsonville, $5880 (http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/mcy/4291213599.html)

2004, 16k miles, Oriental Blue, San Fran area, $7200 (http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/4291010507.html)

There are several others out there. I did not work my way through the list to get close to GA, but yes... your bike seems overpriced by $1000-1500 in my opinion.

Update?

So, since scoobs started his inquiry back in April of 2013, I am wondering if he picked up that bike, or one similar.....?:blush

Update...

Forgive me- I've had assorted issues to deal with that took me away from the bike I was looking at. I did not persue the matter further but an grateful for your feedback.
Scoobs.

Back