• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Dynabeads Tire Balancing- Good or Bad?

tmwkicker

I'm looking to dabble in changing my own tires. I've been reading good things about Dynabeads for balancing the wheels. Does anyone have any experience with them, good or bad?

Thanks!

Dynabeads are awesome. If you want the Ultimate ride, balance the wheels with weights and then put in the Dynabeads. I did this on my 1990 K75 RT and with the smooth engine and double balancing, the bike is a TRIP to ride. Talk about low vibration! It really makes a difference.
Nick Kennedy

I'm moving this thread over to "gear" since it isn't K bike specific. If you can search (it's not clear that's working right now) there have been some very extensive discussions of dynabeads - and the physics of them working - or not. I have no dog in this race, but I don't use them.

Hang on while the thread gets moved.. and please keep your hands and feet inside the thread until it comes to a complete stop, for your safety and protection..

Offfffffff.. we go..........

I have used them for ~ 8 years & they work great for me in every way-ease of use(dump them in),cost(I reuse them),don't fall off(thus not adding junk to the environment), ride is smooth & tire wear normal, & I get to brag them up too:nyah
If you don't own a small scale weigh them at the USPS . I used a gunpowder scale at 1st then bought an electronic scale for like 99cents on ebay that weighs increments of tenths of an ounce or metric up to 76#'s and was shipped from, you guessed it, for free! :thumb

If you can search (it's not clear that's working right now) there have been some very extensive discussions of dynabeads ...

marchyman is my new WWW tech guru hero for turning me (and I now pay forward) a technique for using "Google" to search a particular website.

On the google search line... type > site:bmwmoa.org dynabeads (for example). Put a space between the last letter of the URL. You can further the information you are seeking with a "+" after "dynabeads" (for example) and add, say, a username to find posts about dynabeads made by an individual.

This will work with any website that allows google searches.

Oh yeah, the dynabead search results > https://www.google.com/search?q=sit...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Here's the one you're probably thinking of > http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?53188-can-we-go-deeper-on-Dyna-Beads-and-balancing

P-R-E-T-T-Y cool if ya ask me.

Static Balancing

Static balancing is so quick and easy, and a well proven way to balance tires. Why mess with some other method with so many questions ?

I hate changing tires when people use them. You have to remember to vacuum them out or they end up all over the shop. You sure don't want them in your wheel bearings

Just my .02

I dabbled with the Dyna-beads myself for a short while. I had a tire that would not balance with them. Not sure if the beads had anything to do with it or not. The cost and mess turned me off as well. My wife and I go through a lot of tires, enough to justify a Marc Parnes balancer. Stop by with some weights if you want to use it. I have a tire changer you can use too.

I'm looking to dabble in changing my own tires.

I have since day one of motorcycle ownership and I balance my own tires.

A balance wheel is a balanced wheel no matter what method you use. I use stick on wheel weights and my wheels are perfectly balanced.

I'd like to know how owners using Dynabeads really know their wheels are balanced.

I have since day one of motorcycle ownership and I balance my own tires.

A balance wheel is a balanced wheel no matter what method you use. I use stick on wheel weights and my wheels are perfectly balanced.

I'd like to know how owners using Dynabeads really know their wheels are balanced.

How do you know they're not balanced? :scratch

How do you know they're not balanced?

Bouncing, or the sensation that the front end is pulsing up and down (wheel hop). Unexplained vibration. A sensation that the handlebars are trying to shimmy. Cupping on the surface of the tire, or abnormal wear on one side.

Bouncing, or the sensation that the front end is pulsing up and down (wheel hop). Unexplained vibration. A sensation that the handlebars are trying to shimmy. Cupping on the surface of the tire, or abnormal wear on one side.

Thank you, sir. And, since I use Dynabeads, and have none of the above-listed symptoms, in fact, I experience the exact opposite of those symptoms, I am of the belief that my tires, when in motion, are balanced. Another responder asked how users of Dynabeads know that their tires are balanced. I can not prove that with empirical evidence. Nor, as far as I know, can someone else prove that my tires, when in motion, are NOT balanced.

I have only my personal experiences on which to base my belief. But, personal experience is what the OP asked about.

How do you know they're not balanced? :scratch

Well with weights and my own home made balancer, I know they are balanced.

How do you know they are balanced using Dyna Beads? I don't want to know if they are un-balanced, but I do want to know that they are.

I don't want to know if they are un-balanced, but I do want to know that they are.

Motorcycle tires with Dynabeads installed (and in motion) are either balanced or un-balanced. Like pregnancy, there is no "sort of" balanced. If you know they are un-balanced, that eliminates the possibility of them being balanced.

Technology changes, times change, advances are made. Metallic weights are likely 100 years old. Surely there can be a better alternative, or there will be a better alternative. Maybe that better alternative is Dynabeads, maybe it's not. My personal experience, and that's all that I can speak to, is that Dynabeads are better. If you have a different experience, please share it. That is what the original poster asked, for responses based on personal experience.

You ask how Dynabead users know their tires are balanced? I can't prove that. Perhaps you can prove that they are, or that they are not. Either answer is of equal value in answering your question.

Back