• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Anti Sieze on Spark Plugs?

bobr9

R1100RT

Could not find a post on this. Is there an accepted best practice when installing spark plugs to use anti Sieze or not? Thanks

Seems to be a personal choice item. If you do use anti-seize, remember that the slipperines results in greater torque being applied than you might expect. Torque is all about the friction between the theads...a liquid, even oil, can make the threads slip more easily, resulting in a greater clamping force. I just read something by Tom Cutter who writes the racing column in the ON. He recalled a situation where one race team mechanic thought anti-seize was a good idea on the plugs for a race bike. The other mechanic didn't know it had been used and dialed in the specified torque for the plug...snapped it off in the head. Ruined the day for the racer.

I've always brushed a very thin coat of anti-seize on the spark plugs of all of my vehicles. I use the minimum specified torque. We also used anti-seize on the spark plugs of the aircraft where I worked.

I also use anti-seize on the lug nuts of my car. The manufacturer specified a product that according to them, does not affect the lug nut torque. I have trouble buying that, but who am I to argue with Porsche.

BMW bike plugs don't stay in very long if you ride normally (only a few seasons at most and a season or less for some) and service at factory intervals. And torque is low with good access. So I don't use anti seize in this case. Heads don't get very hot, not at all like exhaust bolts, etc..

I prefer graphite dry lube on lug nuts but don't own a Porsche (used to call them rolling roadblocks at the track but their club racer is surely a very durable tool for play)..Nothing wrong with a tiny dab of antiseize though- torque and heat are a lot higher in this application-

If you decide to use antiseize make sure that it is catalytic converter friendly.
Its use doesn't mean it's going to be "allowed" to go past the point of use. IMO,it can even be used on a sensor if in the safe proportion. That ought to be enough to bring comments:)

Its use doesn't mean it's going to be "allowed" to go past the point of use. IMO,it can even be used on a sensor if in the safe proportion. That ought to be enough to bring comments:)

I agree with you, I'm a minimalist greaser. The slatherers could easily load up the ends. I think some of the anti-seize is okay.

Many opinions about yes or no, and what kind to use...

The spark plug threads are stainless steel and the heads are alloy. Both items are subjected to intense heat (and subsequent cooling) cycles. My opinion: unless you really like the idea of galling or fretting, YES, and just a little dab'll do ya.

Filling the tiny voids between the plug threads and the head threads may also help with heat transfer.

If it's getting into the combustion chamber and therefore becoming an issue for the cat, you've used too much.

When I'm feeling anally retentive (frequent these days), after I put some on the plug, I'll screw it in most of the way, and then remove it again & wipe off the excess that the insertion has pushed up the threads; then I'll tighten it down.

There is a recent, long, thread on this topic, which includes some comments by Paul Glaves. But I can't find it.

Funny that folks write about "opinions" in light of the fact spark plug makers advise against it. Just another opinion, right?

Back