• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Stick coils failures

rowens816

Professional Slacker
I just finished a cross-country ride from Arizona to Florida on a 2006 R1200GS. The 2500 mile trip brought the total mileage on the bike to a little over 50K. The bike ran perfectly. However, after a week at home here in Florida, the bike suddenly began to run crappy (as if on one backfiring cylinder). Diagnosis: lower left stick coil. Only that one coil showed failure. However, it's replacement would not fix the problem. Only replacing all 4 coils would fix the problem. Perhaps CAN-BUS should be CAN'T-BUS.

There appears to be numerous and numerous incidents of stick coil failures. There also appears to be a growing solution of "replace them all". Has anyone heard of better solutions, workarounds or apologies from Bmw with promises of free beer for life? Sorry, I guess I got on a rant.

Doesn't really qualify for a serious rant but a good start! :)

This is the oilhead section though and your post belongs in the hexheads section. They know all about stick coils there. Here; not so much. :wave

The sticks are the same (older ones on the 1150s are black instead of gray), and yeah we have the same issues.

Back