• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Good new for owners of early BMW abs bikes.

boxwrench

Good news for owners of early BMW abs bikes.

I own a 2000 R100RT and my abs unit failed.

From the bmw moa face book page some one turned me to a thread here about module masters: http://www.modulemaster.com/en/index.php

Today I called them up and told them what I have. They asked If I have the servo assist one ( I don't).
After a minute or so they came back on and said for $325 plus shipping they can repair it WITH a 5 year warranty.
would take a week turn around.

I was quoted $1200 for a new unit plus 4 hours labor buy a indie BMW shop.
Haven't tried the stealer.
Now I have 3 choices. Learn to R&R it myself, have a stealer do it, or convince the indie to do it ( he says He will only install a new one and no used one. would my rebuilt count?)

Now all I have to do is get the cash together for that. Tires and no ABS for now are in my future.

Last edited:
You have a fourth option: Remove the ABS altogether and have regular brakes which are quite good. Plenty of instructions on this forum and the BMW Sport Touring forum on the procedure. Module Master has had my ABS unit for five months and keep saying it will be repaired "any day now". I think they mean well, but it just isn't getting done.

My BMW guy apparently knows about the $325 option as well. That's about the number he quoted me for my R11RS. Or, like he said, you can remove it or ride it like it is.

After years of riding airheads, even non-ABS on oilheads is a massive improvement.

Abs

After years of riding airheads, even non-ABS on oilheads is a massive improvement. +1

After years of riding airheads, even non-ABS on oilheads is a massive improvement. +1

Until you hit some anti freeze, oil, or sand.

Insurance companies give a credit for ABS for a reason.

I had a single front disc R90/6. That was BMW's original anti-lock brake system. But the more effective the brakes are, relative to tire traction, the more valuable ABS is.

I own a 2000 R100RT and my abs unit failed.

From the bmw moa face book page some one turned me to a thread here about module masters: http://www.modulemaster.com/en/index.php

Today I called them up and told them what I have. They asked If I have the servo assist one ( I don't).
After a minute or so they came back on and said for $325 plus shipping they can repair it WITH a 5 year warranty.
would take a week turn around.

I was quoted $1200 for a new unit plus 4 hours labor buy a indie BMW shop.
Haven't tried the stealer.
Now I have 3 choices. Learn to R&R it myself, have a stealer do it, or convince the indie to do it ( he says He will only install a new one and no used one. would my rebuilt count?)

Now all I have to do is get the cash together for that. Tires and no ABS for now are in my future.

a 4th (or 5th, based on what someone else posted) is that you cease referring to your local dealer as "the stealer". Yes, it's pricey to bring your bike to a shop. yes, dealerships usually charge more than smaller independents, but that's the nature of the beast. No, they are not in business to steal from you. Yes, you can do much of that work yourself. No, no one really thinks that "stealer" is cute or funny. Yes, if you choose to bring your bike to a dealer for simple tasks (like tightening your lug bolts, for example), and then complain that they charged you $100/hr labor to do so (what does your car dealership charge on an hourly?)... well, I have little good to say about your choices.

Ditto. I have been my own wrench for 30+ years, by choice and desire to learn about my bikes. I have also worked part time at a BMW dealership, and seen many of the botched "home wrench" jobs brought to the shop to be corrected.

BMW motorcycles are complex highly technical machines, which require very good technicians to evaluate and repair. Their knowledge, ability, and desire to do the best jobs they can doesn't come cheap, especially when you consider the typical dealer is a small business trying to serve a highly technical niche market. So, while I understand the comment, be aware there are a LOT of very dedicated people in this business doing their best for us.

Ok, rant over. The ABS modulator in the older Oilheads is not hard to replace IF you have strong basic mechanical skills. I did it myself on my 94 RS. I exchanged my failed unit with one I bought on ebay (putting a lot of trust in the seller). After I installed it, I still took it to my dealer (that was before I worked there), told him what I did, how I did it, and then arranged a service order to "initialize" the unit to my bike. Well worth the bucks for that and the ABS has worked great since then, now going on six years.

Oh, I also regularly practice high-effort braking, including activating the ABS system front and rear, to sharpen my skills and keep the ABS unit active.

Said it before and I'll say it again:
ABS has saved my ass several times on several bikes.
Sometimes it was my own fault for not recognizing a hazard, sometimes it was because somebody else suddenly did something blatantly stupid.
I'm even willing to pay my dealer for the occasional pressure test on the official computer (especially after a bleed).
Think carefully before you decide to toss it...

Back