• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Top box lock

Justscootin

Jeff Wilson life member
I know some of you are waiting for the pads you ordered last fall and they have not arrived

I am in a similar boat and that is on November 5th I ordered the lock for my top box. On November 27th the lock came in and it would not work for me or the dealer so they kept it and ordered a new one. Four weeks later it came in and nothing changed, it did not work. I looked at the parts guy and said at least it is not touring season. I showed him what was wrong and he agreed with me and that I could fix it in 10 minutes. He would not let me as he said it would void warranty.

Four months later I still do not have a lock but the dealer has my money. The lock he had he did not send back, he lost it and whenever I see him all he says to me is I will send them an email. So far the email has not done any good. I think it is crap. I called BMW Canada and they say it is the dealer I have to deal with.

You are in Canada so I'm not sure of your case, but in the United States - "void warranty" is complete BS. I assume you needed to make some little change to the lock or the case to make it fit. In which case the warranty on the lockset or the case might be void, but as to the engine, or transmission, or the headlight, or whatever else, if the little change to the lock was not the proximate cause of whatever other failure might occure the threat to void the warranty is sheer crap.

You are in Canada so I'm not sure of your case, but in the United States - "void warranty" is complete BS. I assume you needed to make some little change to the lock or the case to make it fit. In which case the warranty on the lockset or the case might be void, but as to the engine, or transmission, or the headlight, or whatever else, if the little change to the lock was not the proximate cause of whatever other failure might occure the threat to void the warranty is sheer crap.

I know what you are saying, what the dealer is saying I would not have a warranty on the lock. The problem with the tumbler is the tabs are to long and they jam when the key is inserted or pulled out. With a dremel tool I would grind the tabs to the proper length. 10-15 minutes I would be done by as mentioned the dealer would not give me the tumbler set and then he lost it. Believe me I am pissed.

When I restored my Isetta I had to do the same thing with my front door lock and 13 years later still no problem.

I did read someone here write that the scooter locks are a little different than the other BMW lines, so maybe they just don't have the proper work instructions for scooters or are assuming they work the same as the other BMW lines and are failing to get it coded correctly. No other reason I can think of; I know mine works fine. I was charged labor for coding the lock cylinder.

I did read someone here write that the scooter locks are a little different than the other BMW lines, so maybe they just don't have the proper work instructions for scooters or are assuming they work the same as the other BMW lines and are failing to get it coded correctly. No other reason I can think of; I know mine works fine. I was charged labor for coding the lock cylinder.

Since a brand new lock as supplied OEM won't work, what good is a warranty on that lock?

If I have this right, BMW doesn't supply the cylinder specific to the bike, at least not for accessory items, maybe for the ignition switch, but not top cases and saddlebags, so the dealer needs to use a kit to code it for a specific key, and I think this is where things are going wrong.

If I have this right, BMW doesn't supply the cylinder specific to the bike, at least not for accessory items, maybe for the ignition switch, but not top cases and saddlebags, so the dealer needs to use a kit to code it for a specific key, and I think this is where things are going wrong.

What the dealer does they photo copy your ownership for the serial number and my drivers license (for proof of ownerships). The dealer then orders the cylinder from Germany. Germany then makes the cylinder specific to your key. In my situation they even took a picture of my key. The thing that ticks me off is I have not been able to get an answer from the dealer except all they can do is send an email.

I feel as though I have been forgotten and as though they feel all they have done is the best they can do.

When I see the next lock cylinder I still think it will be wrong.

Last edited:
When mine came it needed a little work on it to work properly - perhaps the same issue. But rather than try it, give up immediately, and send me packing with nothing, San Jose BMW actually made the little adjustments necessary to get it to work...

When mine came it needed a little work on it to work properly - perhaps the same issue. But rather than try it, give up immediately, and send me packing with nothing, San Jose BMW actually made the little adjustments necessary to get it to work...

Must be a good dealer. My dealer I think are afraid of the bmw gods striking lightning upon them and removing their dealership and obviously do not want to try. I have put in a formal complaint on Friday. As this is ridiculous

I did read the writeup on webbikeworld about installing the top case and the guy there did have problems getting his to work, so wondering if they are just having problems with the actual work and not so much the part (but they don't know it).=
http://www.webbikeworld.com/bmw-scooter/top-case/

Sorry coincidentally I called the dealer today and they received the 3rd lock in on friday (they could not pick up the phone and call me?). I told them on the phone that it probably won't work but I will take it and fix it myself. So I drove to to dealer with my key in hand. Sure enough it did not work in the cylinder that comes with the top box. I told him to order a new one and took the one that did not work home with me.

I got out the vernier calipers out and did some measuring and found that one of the tumbler keys was to long as I showed the parts guy that just shrugs his shoulders and says that is the way they send it (almost like saying to bad sucker what am I to do about it). I got out the dremel tool and ground off 0.010 of an inch (the thickness of 2 pieces of paper) and what happens next I installed it on the box and it works with no problem.

Lazy ass dealer would not even try to make it work. It took me less than 5 minutes to fix.
The dealers slogan is Respect, Trust, Enjoy

I have no respect for them, I do not trust them and I do not enjoy seeing them, fits perfectly!

Last edited:
Having spent nearly the entire life of my c650GT communicating with my dealer, I can say that it is not really the fault of the dealer but that of BMW USA. The dealers get very little useful support on defective products. They can order the part, if there is an established order number. With the new scooter, parts may not even be available to order. Once an order is placed it goes into a black box awaiting Germany to ship parts. This adds 2-3 weeks of delay. The part comes in defective or improperly coded or just not right, and all the dealer can do is enter the problem back into Puma and start over. My dealer was at least as frustrated with this process as I have been. I couldn't be more disappointed or surprised with BMW. I bought the bike for the reputation of the badge. I called customer service and spoke to the person who identified himself as the single most senior person in BMW customer service, and he essentially told me kiss off. I really hope BMW reads these comments.

I'm glad to have a dealer who really cares about making thing right, mine worked when I picked it up, just as I would expect, Mischlers HD/BMW in Beaver Dam WI, GREAT guys!
Gilly

Back