• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Metzler Z8 or Michelin Pilot 3's

I changed the front to Pilot 3. I had to replace the rear Z8 at 14,000 miles with a BS BT016 because that is all I could find in remote west Texas.

Will report on the P3 life after their run.

tsp
http://www.airheadmoto.com

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 135
Your millage may vary... For me it's the road surface and weather.

Tried a set of Z8's last year and they were great in the dry, but lousy in the wet at end of life. (very thin in the center of the rear tire!)

My communing road to work has a lot of tar and gravel surface that there is too much tar and it is slick as ice when wet.

Tried PR3's for last winter's commute and I'm now sold on the sipes. Great traction in rain, slush and dry. Just bought a second set.

Metzelers

Just put another Z8 on my '07 RT and it also had Bridgestone Battlax's on it from new. I am glad my machine had Bridgestone's on it because it gave me a different tire to try and I haven't gotten Bridgestone's since. Only Metzeler Z8's for me, when it comes to riding in the rain you will be glad you have them on for sure.

Incidently, I throw my tires away with tread on them because I would never ride a rag taking a chance on saving a few bucks.

Same Ol

This is the problem I had wiht Z6 on my RT. The rear wears in the center and there are no wear bars there.

This is the Z8 off my R1200R always kept at factory recommended pressure f 42 psi after 7100 miles.

Yup that is secondary rubber.

IMG_20130413_085827-L.jpg

This time I put on PR3. Its been about 2,000 miles. The rear broke loose a couple times, just yesterday I dropped the pressure from 42 psi to 39 psi. What a difference! Now it feels like it should. I had PR3 on my R1100RT and loved them. Also on my Versys. Great tires.

Before the pressure change I was thinking back to the Z8.
I will know more by the time they wear out.

David

Back