• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Metzler Z8 or Michelin Pilot 3's

Firenailer

I'm going to be due for my 6000 mile service and was thinking about changing the stock Bridgestones at the same time, as I'm just not a fan. Researching tires, the Metzler and Michelins seem to be the best reviewed tires for the RT, and are the brands I've liked most in the past on other motorcycles.

So what say you, quasi - esteemed forum members? What's your experience with these 2 so far? Wet, dry - handling, cupping, how are they working out for you?

Thanks

I did 5,000 kms on the Z8s I had fitted right away on my 12 RT, getting rid of the Bridgestone 21 that were factory installed. They are great tires, wet ot dry, but then I changed them for the Michelin PR3s because I was a big fan of the PR2s before, I loved what I got. The PR3s kind of stick to the asphalt, they seem to glide over bumps and holes, like added suspension, they soften the ride incredibly, they tip easily into corners and keep their line like on rails. The grip is top in the dry, and they're phenomenal in the rain. After 13,000 kms, when I sold the RT, the front still had 50% left, and the rear 80% (according to my dealer.)

I have made up my mind that I'm putting on Pilot 3's at my 6K visit too. The BY 023's are coming off. At 3K miles on them I really don't have any complaints on the road or the one track day I went to. I just this from everything that I've read that the Pilot Road 3's are one of the better choices at this time.

Please report back in on your choice and the results.

Jason

I can't comment on the Metzlers but I have the PR3's on my 1150R and they are excellent.

The Z8's came on my bike from the factory and they are far superior to any Bridgestone?s I have ever experienced. The dry performance is great and the tires have never given me cause for concern.

Although I have ridden in the rain on numerous occasions, I haven't spent enough time in those conditions to determine the performance. I can say that there was no evidence that these tires would be problematic.

I have 6200 miles on the tires and from their current condition I suspect I will get another 6k out of them, perhaps more. I keep pressures around 38 Front and 40 rear and would consider myself more of an aggressive rider i.e. rapid acceleration, aggressive through the turns, etc. I ride with a pillion maybe 5% of the time.

I would not hesitate to buy these tires again though I will likely get the PR3's when I need new tires because of all the great things I have been hearing about them. If the PR3's are not available I will not wait if the Z8's are on the rack.

Keep us posted.

Scot

8K miles so far on PR3s, only complaint is that they are a little noisy now. Better than the PR2s that came with the bike and great in the rain.

I went back to the Z8s after not getting the mileage out of the PR3s I thought I should. Got 8k out of the rear and at about 12k the front is about shot. I took the previous set of Z8s off at less than 10k because I was headed out on 4.5k trip and didn't think the Metzlers would go quite that far, although they still had a fair amount of tread left. Others on this forum get more mileage out of their PR3s than I did. I don't know how, but they do.

Metzler for me. I had PR2s on my bike when I bought it used and I could not wait to get them off the bike. Back to Metzlers and love live again. The Metzlers just seem to have a much better grip than the PR2s. I feel like I have control whereas with the PR2s, I always felt like the bike "flopped" into a corner. The Metzlers just give a steady performance.
These are my observations in accordance with my driving style.

I just replaced my PR3's with another set. I got 13,871 miles out of the set and the front still had plenty of tread on it. The rear was worn in the middle (I do a lot of slab commuting). Previous set was PR2's that got 15,000 miles on the front and 18,000 miles on the rear (B rated).

Can't speak to mileage yet, but, about 2000 miles in to a set of Dunlop Roadsmart II's and so far I'm satisfied. I had Conti Attack's (4k and done), Metzeler Z8 (4k and done), Michelin PR3 (6k with one track day and done). If the Dunlop's hold up I wouldn't mind keeping them, if not, I'll be going back to the Michelin's. Handle just fine and the mileage is there.

I have not tried the Metzlers, however I replaced my PR2s with 3s about a month ago. Some have stated that they notice a bit more vibration in the bars. I can confirm this from my limited experience with them as well. I must say though, that apart from that, I am very pleased with them. Rode through a downpour a couple of weeks ago and performed as though the roads were dry. Excellent in the wet.

The PR3s kind of stick to the asphalt, they seem to glide over bumps and holes, like added suspension, they soften the ride incredibly, they tip easily into corners and keep their line like on rails.

Is this for when comparing a new PR3 to an old Z8 or when comparing two brand new tires?

Can't speak to mileage yet, but, about 2000 miles in to a set of Dunlop Roadsmart II's and so far I'm satisfied. I had Conti Attack's (4k and done), Metzeler Z8 (4k and done), Michelin PR3 (6k with one track day and done). If the Dunlop's hold up I wouldn't mind keeping them, if not, I'll be going back to the Michelin's. Handle just fine and the mileage is there.

For whatever reason, 6000 miles seems to be where I have to change my tires. After a year or so they're worn and cupped to the point where it's foolish to try to fight out any more mileage.

Your mileage seems to mirror mine. Is the reason for your choice of PR3 over the Z8's the mileage factor? Was there any other factors in that low number? ( Track days, long highway tours etc.?) was there any significant factor that made one better or worse than the other?

Thanks for the input everyone!

I finally gave up on the stock tires on my 09 R1200R last October. In Michigan they keep squiggling tar strips over the asphalt cracks in the summertime. The Bridgestone's kept slipping in the corners, regardless of the temperature, even if I dropped the speed down to 10 MPH, so much so that at times I'd slide 3-6 inches. It was scary. The Pilots grooving seems to be less perpendicular (grooves are longer from the center beginning to the outside where they stop at the sidewalls) to the travel direction and the sipping of the front tire really helps in the rain. The Pilots have yet to slip in the corners, nothing that I could feel anyway.

Michelin PR3s on '11 R1200 RT

Just replaced the front Michelin PR3 after 12,845 km. All kinds of riding from the plains to the mountain twisties, wet and dry. (The rear was replaced some months back due to a nasty roofing nail so it's still OK). The previous set were on the bike for about 2000 km greater distance but were badly worn - quite "square".

Thanks for all of the replies, my brain is telling me PR3's but I think I may be leaning towards the Z8's for some reason. maybe because the reviews Ive found are so over the top about them. I'll let you know what happens when I get to the dealership for the 6000 mile service and tire swap next week.

Markforshee, I'm with you! I lost the front twice last season riding the Bridgestones and it was just pure luck the bike stayed upright both times. I just can't wait to get them off. I was talking to the counter person at the dealership and she told me she pulled hers off after the first 400 miles as the same thing was happening to her. I know some people say they have no problem with them and God Bless, but I'll be happy to get them off, swap them with anything else!

I've had the Z8s on my 2012 and with about 7200 miles I probably have another 1k before needing to replace them. I'll be replacing them with the Michelin PR3s, I've had them on another bike and I love the way they grip/handle. I don't have complaints about the Z8s but I think I'll enjoy the ride more on the Michelins.

Back