• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

instrument board

I have a 88 r100rt and had an issue with charging.The "gen" light was not on at any time.I took the cluster apart and checked the plastic board for damage and it looked ok.I removed the bulbs and lightly cleaned the contacts.Low and behold I now have the "gen" light nice and bright with key on.The female pins on the contact did have corrosion.I used some contact cleaner and q tips to clean but is there any
other tools for cleaning the plastic contact strip with out damaging it.I have been told its close to impossible to find a replacment board.

Most likely the board is fine, and the light is not on because the alternator rotor is bad. That's how the charge light works: should come on with the key and go out with the engine running. Otherwise there's a problem.

IOW the light is doing its job. :)

Thanks Anton. After cleaning the contacts up the gen light did come on.So maybe the rotor isnt the issue.I was looking for some ideas on cleaning the contacts without damage.I also spread the prongs out alittle on the bulb socket.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not sure the instrument bulb circuit board for any year airhead is available anymore. I think it's NLA (no longer available) If available, it would be found under "Instruments" beginning part# 62-. You might have to look for a used one or new old stock somewhere. Good luck!
Denny Pink
1992 RT

As of right now I'm going with the bulb fix. I now have the gen light on and while running its about 13 volts according to the gauge as without the light working it was at 11 volts.

Back