Thread: K100RS handle bar flex?

K100RS handle bar flex?

Hi All,

Since putting my bike back together, I had the opportunity to ride it a little. I was wondering if anyone else feels a flex in the handle bar on their K bike. I have owned a bike previously that had a wobbling head bearing, but this feels different. When I apply the front brake hard, I can feel like the bar is flexing. I know given the age, the head bearing should be checked for play and when I put the bike on center stand and pull on the forks, I don't get movement.

If you guys say they all do this, then I'm not going to worry about. If it's not common then I guess I'll have to start tearing the front end down.

Thanks

3 Red Bricks
    K100 bars are rubber mounted to the top triple clamp. You probably need to replace the rubber. 32 71 2 307 364 ABSORBING PIECE $7.30

The fiche says that you need 4 of them.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Thanks Lee. I see the part you are talking about. But any idea why I would need 4? I see one per side. HAs anyone replaced theirs?

3 Red Bricks
    There's probably one on the top and one on the bottom of the triple clamp on each side.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Quote Originally Posted by cy7878 View Post
    Thanks Lee. I see the part you are talking about. But any idea why I would need 4? I see one per side. HAs anyone replaced theirs?
    Max's BMW microfische shows qty of 4. Call them and they, for sure, will know.

I had the same problem with a Yamaha that I owned. Replaced the rubber and it felt like a completely different bike.
    Lynn
    MOA #57883
    Current Ride: 1995 K75 Standard
    Past: 1978 Yamaha XS 750, 1976 BMW R60/6

RS MotoBrick
    i have successfully stiffened up the bars on 3 of my motobricks by doing this mod... its an amazing difference in motocontrol... that is if you ride on the edge of the perfect line and cartwheeling off the cliff on roads like this...

j o

I replaced the 4 bushings with new ones. Placed the 2 small washers on the bottom and the large washers (one on top and one on bottom).

But as I tighten the nut, it doesn't seem to "tighten" and my bar still flex a lot. What am I doing wrong?

Do they make a urethan or metal part that can eliminate this?

Thanks guys for the input.

Mendocino, CA USA about as far left as you can get in the lower 48
    You might be able to find a urethane bushing somewhere that will do the trick and fit, but BMW intentionally put that flex in there to hide/reduce the buzzing you get from the engine. It is not the smoothest in the world. Mine was comparatively smooth compared to other 85s I rode, but still, it was quite numbing after a while, especially at specific revs. If you were to implement the method shown by owrstritch, you will drastically reduce the flex, however, your buzz will likely increase. If you were to find a way to rigidly mount the bars, you would eliminate that flex, but again, the buzz will be pronounced. Good luck with your efforts as you work to find a happy medium.
    Jim Douglas '00 K1200RS >135,000 miles my primary bike again,
    Gone: '09 K1300S sold @ 22k mi, '93 K1100RS traded @ 78k mi, '85 K100RS sold @ 44k mi
    '06 Kaw 650R track bike sold
    http://www.seagullbb.com/